Do I really need a CPL?

Bearsie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've had a Mini 0803 for some time and been generally pleased with it, although during the last couple of months it goes through periods of "hanging" or powering itself off and so with a change of car, I've been looking at the 0906 as a replacement for it.

There are quite a few posts that refer to a CPL, not always positively - falling off the camera; being visible in the video etc; but, my question to other members is Do I Need a CPL, or is it a nice to have? I live in the UK and take the car to Spain for several weeks at a time often in summer but also in autumn and winter, so plenty of variations of weather/sky conditions.

Your thoughts and experiences are welcome please.

Thanks

whether or not you need one is generally vehicle dependent, dashboard design, colour etc influence the result, if you don't have reflection issues with the 0803 you'll probably be fine with the 0906 also

Thanks for a fast reply, both old and new cars are black, with black dashboards, the old was a 2015 Peugeot 3008 which had a very sloped windscreen which made it difficult to clean properly, and gave a lot of reflection in sunlight but I don't recall getting reflection issues on the video; the Nissan X-Trail's windscreen is less sloped, so fingers crossed it will be OK without the CPL.
I guess I could always buy one later if needed.

Thanks for a fast reply, both old and new cars are black, with black dashboards, the old was a 2015 Peugeot 3008 which had a very sloped windscreen which made it difficult to clean properly, and gave a lot of reflection in sunlight but I don't recall getting reflection issues on the video; the Nissan X-Trail's windscreen is less sloped, so fingers crossed it will be OK without the CPL.
I guess I could always buy one later if needed.

Most sellers I came across throw it in for free with the hardwire kit. In my opinion, it's nice to have the option if you ever needed it for the few days of sun we are blessed with in the UK :cool:

I went via eBay recently and used one of the sellers recommended here, who have been very responsive with after sales questions.

Most sellers I came across throw it in for free with the hardwire kit. In my opinion, it's nice to have the option if you ever needed it for the few days of sun we are blessed with in the UK :cool:

I went via eBay recently and used one of the sellers recommended here, who have been very responsive with after sales questions.

Yes I've seen the bundles on eBay and will buy tomorrow - thanks

Do I Need a CPL, or is it a nice to have?
In some cars it can improve the video considerably, in others it makes little difference.

If you find that polarised sunglasses make a desirable improvement to visibility then a CPL is probably also desirable - they do the same job.

Hello, I recently purchased the Veckle Mini 0906 - which includes the CPL magnetic filter - very good polarized filter but it cuts off the top left corner of the recording - any fix for this?

Back