DOD LS300W Keeps Rebooting After Only A Few Seconds

Ryan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Anyone have this issue? This is a brand new camera and will work perfectly for a day or two but then start rebooting after only 5-15 seconds of recording and continue into this cycle.

This issue appears to be spastic. I was thinking it was a memory issue, but I'm using a Lexar 32gb class 10 which was reported as working?

Any ideas or possible defective cam?

try a different brand memory card before you send it back, they're known to be picky with some cards

Dont know about later produced dod ls300w. Mine wad from very first bunch Feb-March '13. Never had any glitches, no fussy to any of memory cards and I mean ANY, tried many time 4-5y old cheap unbranded 2, 4gb and works perfectly. Maybe later produced models are more sensitive.

few reports I've seen early on of card issues, I have one and haven't had issues personally, the problem from those with issues could be the cards themselves though, lots of poor grade media around

Update / Solved:

The Lexar and Sandisk memory both were incompatible with the camera. They were both 32gb class 10's.

I purchased an ADATA 64gb class 10 and the cams working perfectly now.

Ok, sadly I report back with the same issue with the new ADATA card.

I got troubleshooting the problem which I assumed was memory related the entire time. Turns out that it has to do with how I'm powering the unit.

I have a nice clean tap off my rear view mirror 12v power source. I have this 12v source stepping down to a 5v 1000 ma output that I spliced into the end of an old USB device cable. I'm using a step down transformer such as this:

v352_a.jpg

I'm getting a steady reading of 4.98v DC from the power source. It seems like clean power and right on track with what the camera needs as an input.

When the camera goes into this boot cycle, I plug in the power cord supplied by DOD and the camera works fine. I plug my cord in, and it works 50% of the time and fails 50%. I took a reading from the DOD power cord and it's around 5.11v DC. I honestly can't see how that 0.1v is making all of this difference?

Any ideas?

It's hard to say without getting a scope on the line to see what's happening. The DC to DC converter may have a lot of noise on it (ripple) and may even have some kind of frequency modulation going on. Anything is possible since we also don't know how well the DoD 5V supply regulates, it may have a good circuit with regulator and properly matched capacitors to eliminate even the finest ripple and interference. (in automotive circuits interference is often huge) I would have thought that the presence of a li-ion battery would eliminate most of these problems, but again, you never know about the circuitry.

Back