DOD LS475W+

Smoke Pants

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know what kind of processor DOD uses in the later models of the LS line? Is it a red flag that this is not listed in the specifications on their website?

Any feedback or thoughts you guys have on this brand would be appreciated.

At this point I've purchased and returned two cameras that could not maintain focus when exposed to sunlight - Viofo A119S and Vicovation Opia1. I wish I could find a premium camera that keeps a sharp picture under all conditions and I'm willing to pay for it.

Heat-related focus-shift is a fairly common problem with dashcams. Even the best cams will occasionally have a few which do this and some models are more prone to it than others. It's a chance you take in this game and there are usually solutions. You can refocus the lens yourself which sometimes works (but voids the warranty) or you can keep returning cams till you get a good one. My first dashcam experience involved 2 returns for dead cams- not a pleasant way to begin but since then I've had no real problems with the several different cams I now have.

I'd suggest that if you otherwise like a cam and are willing to keep returning duds till you get a good one then your best approach is to try that instead of trying other cams which might be equally prone to the same problem or have other ones :rolleyes: But I understand if your frustration prevents that approach ;) Just know that no cam is immune to this and that right now it seems to happen more with the Sony IMX 322/323 sensors than the rest though I can't explain why. If you otherwise liked the A119S you might want to give the A119 a try as it is now very good at night and Viofo is currently working on making that aspect even better.

If you persist at something hard enough you'll find success at the end of the path. Best wishes on your travels whichever paths you choose :D

Phil

Thanks for the insight, Phil. Just curious, what is your go-to these days? The A119?

And do you have any experience with DOD?

I don't own any of these; my main cam is currently a Mobius but will be a WR-1 soon as I've got some lens experimenting to do ;) I will change that over time and an A119 series cam (probably the A119s) will become my main cam then because I need best-level night-time recording for it. In my years on DCT I've learned of several members here who are smart and trustworthy, and of those who own an A119 series cam they all love it. It's been around long enough to show it is reliable and not going to die an early death as some cams do. I will own one someday when the budget allows but right now that's beyond me, and in all that I feel safe in recommending it to you :D The A119 approaches the A19S at night now and not having the IMX 322/323 sensor means you're far less likely to see any focus problems with it. And it's worlds better in the daytime :)

For whatever reason the DOD cams aren't much seen or reported on here on DCT. Un the US they are not being marketed as hard as many other cams are. I do know that some of those trusted members I mentioned above were happy with their older DOD models in the past but that may or may not relate to the one's you're considering. Most of the older cams have little to recommend them in comparison to today's best designs. I wish I could point you to more info on the DOD but I can't. All I can do is recommend you research your decisions well and remember that anyone can and sometimes does ship out a dud cam but that doesn't make all of that model bad :rolleyes:

Phil

I currently own the DOD LS360W and DOD LS475w+. Both are working flawlessly. Did have to return my first LS475W+ as it stopped detecting the sd card. So couldn't even reload the firmware. But the replacement has been as good as gold.
As for heat-related focus shift. Don't have to worry about that. Here in the UK we're lucky to get daylight, let alone sunlight... Lol.
Joking aside the only negative I would say against the LS475W+ is the size... Quite large on a car windscreen. Maybe not so much on a truck windscreen...

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P DOD 1
Back