Does any use their dashcam other than in their vehicle?

bronze84

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Thinkware F750, K1S, Marcus3, Mobius, Xiaomi Yi, Sony AS100v
I've been thinking.

Because most (if not all) dash cams are powered by USB, does anyone use theirs for anything else. Eg house security, days out etc?

I believe the video quality of mine (jokiins A2S60) is far superior to my iphone 5 and my handicam.

I'm tempted to retrofit a mount for when I go on bike rides - The only limitation on any dashcam being the battery life.

I think it could be a far more convenient solution when on a day out with the kids/Christmas/parties etc to a bulky camcorder - providing you don't need the zoom of course....?

There's a model I use as a handheld camcorder and microphone. In post editing, the video and audio can be separated and the mic on this particular dash cam is of better quality than webcam mics.

I did walk test, i ordered wide angle lens and in a week i can tell is it good or not.
Standard dvr and usb power bank, camera is strapped to chest with diy harness.
http://youtu.be/Qw5OFsXNIEg

Last edited by a moderator:
well, I have used mine for karate training occasionally and that is why I brought a USB battery adapter that uses 2 AA batteries and lasts about 2 hours for only $2

My old DOD F900 is a small camcorder with car dvr software (record on usb power, cycle record etc).
I have used it to covertly record meetings (amazing how a secretary taking minutes can write things up that never happened or miss out vital information). I have also used it to give an overview of rugby and American football matches (son plays both & they use the footage for training), using an external power pack to provide additional recording time. I use it in conjunction with my proper camcorder (which does all the close-ups & better suited to close ups of fast action).
I've also experimented with it as a 'doggycam' when we go out walkies, pooch has the camcorder fixed under his collar - good for a laugh, so only did it once or twice.
Also used it hooked to my jacket when we've gone out walking.

Back