Does the Mini 5 upload video constantly to a cloud or your phone, or is there tamper resistant features so bad people don't try to erase footage.

Syze00

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am considering the Mini 5 since I had another DDPAI cam and enjoyed it. It even came with a button for accidents so it would record the previous 30 seconds. I think having internal memory is a good thing so that way there is no SD cards magically disappearing during a stop but I would love it if there was a way to lock the camera down so files couldn't be deleted. Let me know if that is an option to prevent tampering. I couldn't find any instant upload/streaming info on the cam so I hope someone who has one can tell me.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum Syze00.

No the smart cameras do not constantly upload to the cloud, that would necessitate a always good connection to a network ( 4G ) and a flat rate data subscription as you get at the very least 100 - 200 MB of data generated every minute .
This would also mean you would need a lot of room in that cloud.
Also i would assume during a stop you would be required to turn off the car, or at least the motor, but all off and your camera would need to change to parking guard.
And that is also a option in most dashcams if it is hard wired, but then arrise another problem, the parking guard mode you use, CUZ some of them require a trigger ( most often G-sensor ) or it would not record.
I personally prefer to use the low bitrate option most systems have CUZ it also record sound and it record all the time just in a low bitrate that make smaller file size.

I would also think as a far away Dane that if your data go missing, that would be a gross violation as your rights, if your data are stolen / vandalized.
But there are not a whole lot to do about that problem, there are tamper proof systems most often costly enterprise ones that are more geared towards filming occupants in a vehicle like a taxi / bus and so on, so these are not systems that see much mentioning in here.
There also are a few systems that have some form of tamper proof, most often in the form of a bracket that cover some buttons / SD card ASO
Another option though also a rare one sadly CUZ i kinda like it myself, is the remote systems, here you have the main unit that do all the work and house the memory card remote from the cameras on a wire, this mean you can hide the main unit deep in your car, hell you could even lock it down some way, though you do want to be mindful about WIFI CUZ that would be the way to access it aside for getting it out of what ever hiding place you have it in and take the memory card out and out it in a card reader to access footage that way.
The actual settings of the camera you also often do by WIFI using a APP as some cameras do not have a screen, or they do but the old idiot that operate it like me can not read those small screens and so prefer to use a larger phone screen for that.
But settings, you pretty much only do once, or at least 2 times a year when you change time zone to accommodate daylight savings, CUZ dashcams can not handle that automatic like out phones / computers can, so me for instance i an +2 hours in time zone now to compensate for summer time, but geographical Denmark are just +1 hour time zone, so thats just in the winter time i use +1 hour.
Anyway the problem with the remote systems is only very few make one, CUZ it never really took off / caught on for some reason.
Aside for all of that it is also a + if you want to do parking guard in the hot season, CUZ your main unit will most likely not sit in direct sun like conventional systems might do depending on the placement of the sun to the parked car.
So a conventional system will soon reach max temperature and shut itself down, where as a remote system might last longer as it is at least not in direct sun, though as you know a car parked in the sun do get blast furnace warm, and electronics can only handle so much heat.
Also if you want to film a interaction with some one / some thing that turn up at your window / side window, well you either need a camera you can turn manual to face that window, or a system with interior camera / cameras that are wide enough to see the side windows.
Of course such a person you will get on the approach as they generally sneak up from behind, so a rear camera should assure that identification is a done deal, so i am thinking what happen at the door, well you only just need to have a audio recording of that, in which case you do not need to be able to turn camera or have cameras that cover windows.

Some of us old timers / addicts also have near full coverage 360 degrees, most often whipped up using single cameras that face to the side, or in my case a dual remote system where the cameras are mounted on fixed glass on my rear doors.
This also give you a very good chance of identifying something near / approaching your car, but right up against the car, well due to the nature of things you do not really have full coverage of something there.

My old 360 system ( side cameras died on me and have not yet found a replacement )

A system i am currently testing, that have 2 interior cameras, so one in the front that film back and one in the back that film forward, adding up to a very nice camera for the uber / ride sharing driver, though even here camera snatching are always a issue.
In this video you can also make out my side cameras on the rear door fixed glass.

Back