DR500GW-HD time & date always off

I notice that everyone is just formatting their cards and putting them back in the camera. Isnt that like putting a flat tyre back on the car.

Load a newer version of firmware or reinstall the latest on the card before you put it back in the camera and let it update.

Putting a blank card in only ends up with the crap that is already in the camera.

Just my thoughts on the problem.

My camera did the double restart yesterday but all the files were there afterwards

Not sure what you are implying there, are you blaming user operation for a unit shortcoming? They are designed to operate fine with an erased card. It doesn't copy "crap"as you call it, it copies the fixed system(doesn't change) and config.ini, which everyone I check isn't corrupted.
By doing what you are suggesting, every time you need to remember what WiFi password you always use to reconfigure back in, and configure all the LEDS, g-sensor sensitivity etc! (of course I keep a known config.ini and copy back to card every time I update, to avoid that, but is a pain in the bum taking card in and out all the time).
This issue has only just started on mine, almost a year old and sitting in hot Aussie sun in parking mode quite a few times. It's the internal battery that maintains the RTC that has failed, there is no doubt about that. The thing is the Pittasoft guys should have coded the RTC setting algorithm completely differently to deal with this situation and the worst that would happen is the first file recorded after a power up had the wrong date only, rather than every file until next power cycle.

Last edited:
What I mean is once the settings are in the camera and you format your card and put it back you end up with what you already had which is obviously giving problems.

My solution is to reset the camera with a fresh update and perhaps resolve the issue.

I must be lucky as camera is an early Korean one and has spent its life in sunny Brisbane and recently 2 months in Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Nevada where it has sat all day in 100F + temps and hasn't failed at all. Took it out of the car one day at 5 pm and it was almost too hot to hold but was still working.

What I mean is once the settings are in the camera and you format your card and put it back you end up with what you already had which is obviously giving problems.
Nice assumption, but wrong. You can see (well I can) from the log files how it is behaving, the unit gets its time from the RTC on boot up, but if the RTC is significantly less than the last file recorded time (I.e never set or the internal battery has failed) it will use the last recorded file timestamp (or some timestamp it is getting from the flash filesystem). It only appears to use the GPS obtained time if it obtains lock before commencing to write the first recorded file.
Sometimes with these GPS receiver chips it can take 15mins to lock for the first time after power up where has been down for a while, and only 15-30secs if it has a quick power cycle. Thus i am finding I can get it to the correct time by checking it is showing my speed (I.e has GPS lock) and power cycling at that time. It is either just that the very brief power cycle is keeping enough of the faulty internal battery juice to maintain the RTC over course the ~10secs it is without power, or that it gets quick lock from effectively a warm start.

You can spin it however you want, but a failed internal battery will get it behaving the way others have detailed in the thread, a good internal battery will hide this poor coding choice by Pittasoft.

Bought my DR500GW-HD in January 2013. The date & time was fine until the first firmware upgrade. I then noticed that the current date and time was incorrect. It always seemed to power up with the same date and time as the last file written to the card. Whenever the recorded files were erased (or card reformatted) the date reverted to the what appeared to be the firmware file modified dates.

I tried everything I could think of. Sent support request to Pittasoft, who asked me to return the unit to a distributor in Sydney. Received a replacement unit in January 2014. Everything was fine until a firmware upgrade 1.005e was installed in February this year. Once again, the unit began behaving just as the original one did.

In May, I saw that firmware version 2.002e mentioned that the incorrect date and time problem was fixed. Installed as per instructions, but the incorrect date and time problem has continued. It seems that Pittasoft just does not understand the underlying cause of the problem.

I have worked in IT for about 20 years, including 14 years for a software company, so I know may way around software design, QA testing, configuration, etc. Despite the fact that the RTC battery may have a problem, the firmware is very badly designed if it does not try to update the date and time regularly based on the GPS, and instead relies on an RTC battery once the time has been initially set.

I'm ready to return the replacement unit to the distributor, and then look for an alternative product from a different manufacturer.

You can spin it however you want, but a failed internal battery will get it behaving the way others have detailed in the thread, a good internal battery will hide this poor coding choice by Pittasoft.
Hi, just to update the thread, I replaced the internal lithium-ion battery and have had no more troubles (about 7 weeks trouble free). One thing I noticed which may have some significance is that the speaker wire, black conductor, had melted insulation through to the wire, and was effectively shorting on the internal cage. I put a bit of tape around it.
6bc780bf93fc176b91efdf2c8333669e.jpg

Don't know if you can see in the photo.

Is that a Lipo or a Capacitor All mentions on here have been the 500 has a super cap for retained power. Just wondering as mine may get around to needing one.

A part number would be good thanks.

MS621FE, it is detailed earlier in this thread and I think also on some Russian forums.
The battery you can just see on the far right of my photo, top of bottom circuit board. The big cap taking up a good part of the photo is used to deliver the necessary power to close files and gracefully shut down after power has been removed, it is not used to maintain the RTC(real time clock), which seems to be maintained by that lithium rechargeable tiny solder tab button battery.
If you are in Sydney, I bought a 3 pack of these batteries,I can give you one if you like.
Just one note from the earlier discussion on how to disassemble, you don't need to pull out the bottom (lens side) PCB to replace the battery, just the smaller top board (which gives the access to the battery and its solder tabs on top of the lens PCB).

Last edited:
you still got one of them batteries? im needing one I think.
here is the recordings files of my blackspew, times are all over the place, no i wasnt driving at 3am in the morning, the date here was 15 hours out, and gotta love the lot of 0 byte files and the 1970 dated ones as well, all of these are from one single outing yesterday.
anyone know whats going on here??? is my battery fuked??

Attachments

• blackspew2.jpg
    blackspew2.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 13
  • blackspue1.jpg
    blackspue1.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 10
1970 files are a usual indication, but with 0 byte files too? I never had that symptom. Do you have a dodgy micro SD card?
Maybe first give it a format and a reboot, and see how it goes for a bit.
Funny how 3 of the VW Aus guys are all active in this thread!

no its not the SD card, I have already tried putting a different formatted one in for a couple of days and exactly the same issue.

Hi guys
Here is the solution I found and worked in my BlackVue DR500GW-HD
1.Download new firmware in blackvue.com
BlackVue DR500GW-HD English firmware v2.002
http://www.blackvue.com/EN/contents...rboardsort=&page=6&idx=1339&search=&searchstr=
2. unzips file in a folder
3.SD card formatting and copy unzip files to SD card
4.link wifi and check live camera (the time sould showed 2013/~/~), need to check your time zone setting is correct.
5. time is not correct (2013/~/~), push wifi button 10 sec after beep tham you can release button.(SD card formatting again) reset it.
7.link wifi and check live camera (the time sould showed correct time)

try powering it down and back on again the next day, if battery is stuffed then it aint gonna fix the problem. like with a car, if the battery is stuffed you aint gonna start it unless you push start it every day. this is maybe what you are doing here, push starting your blackvue, not fixing it, sounds like battery may not be your problem any way.

try powering it down and back on again the next day, if battery is stuffed then it aint gonna fix the problem. like with a car, if the battery is stuffed you aint gonna start it unless you push start it every day. this is maybe what you are doing here, push starting your blackvue, not fixing it, sounds like battery may not be your problem any way.

Agreed I think hes fooling himself I posted an answer in his other thread.

Hi guys
Here is the solution I found and worked in my BlackVue DR500GW-HD
1.Download new firmware in blackvue.com
BlackVue DR500GW-HD English firmware v2.002
http://www.blackvue.com/EN/contents...rboardsort=&page=6&idx=1339&search=&searchstr=
2. unzips file in a folder
3.SD card formatting and copy unzip files to SD card
4.link wifi and check live camera (the time sould showed 2013/~/~), need to check your time zone setting is correct.
5. time is not correct (2013/~/~), push wifi button 10 sec after beep tham you can release button.(SD card formatting again) reset it.
7.link wifi and check live camera (the time sould showed correct time)

Thanks did the trick for me all working again

Hi guys. I am having the same issue here. Done it all. Tried resolving in all trouble shoot before I drove to PA from NY which is 3 hours drive. Did not resolve. Changes sd card, full format, up to date and yes correct time zone. Attached is photo from today. Actual date is 6-6-15 and time is 10:15

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 12
Hi guys. I am having the same issue here. Done it all. Tried resolving in all trouble shoot before I drove to PA from NY which is 3 hours drive. Did not resolve. Changes sd card, full format, up to date and yes correct time zone. Attached is photo from today. Actual date is 6-6-15 and time is 10:15

I had the same problem and only noticed it after putting in a 64gb card. I swapped that out for my original 32gb card and it resolved the problem.

Back