DR590X-1CH for commercial fleet? Also cost effective SD cards?

BroncoAZ

Reaction score
Country
United States
I manage a fleet of 140+ vehicles and I’m moving from an overpriced/underperforming cellular camera and telematics provider to Geotab for telematics and SD card cameras. This change results in significant savings and better fleet management/telematics. The limitation is that I or my safety manager will have to travel to the vehicle to collect the data in the event of an accident. All of our vehicles are based within an 80 mile radius of the main office, so this isn’t a huge challenge. I’m looking for a front facing only solution that is tamper resistant and completely hands off by the drivers. Cameras will be hard wired to the fuse panel with fuse taps. Many of our 1500 and 3500 trucks have something that would block the view out of the rear window, so a two channel would have limited utility. We have interior facing cameras on the current system, but the drivers hate them (and cover them up) and they could be a liability if we were involved in a lawsuit. I don’t care about parking mode or other features, I just need simple reliable cameras that are tamper resistant.

My search lead me to the Blackvue DR590X-1CH with their tamperproof case. I purchased two test units from Amazon last month. Both are just plugged into the 12v outlet in the dashboard rather than hardwired yet. The video quality is fine, the only issue I’m having is with the included 32gb SD card being way too small and BlackVue‘s cards are far too expensive. At the max resolution I’m getting about two hours of recordings, cut down to normal mode I can get eight hours. If I’m going to make these work I need a larger SD card (128gb or 256gb) that costs $20-40, I’m not willing to buy BlackVue cards at 5x the market rate. I was looking at the Samsung Pro Endurance cards as a suitable option. I really need these cameras to be able to run for 1+ year at a time without needing to reformat. Most of our fleet doesn’t come back to the yard with any regular cadence. Before I drop $26K on cameras I want to get the opinion of the experienced user base here, please.

I personally have been using Aukey cameras for the past 5-6 years with great results. I was living in AZ for most of that time with the cameras in both vehicles baking in the sun for years at a time. I had a couple SanDisk (not High Endurance) cards fail in that time, but generally they worked well enough.

The Viofo A139 also has a tamper proof kit accesory:

Available in 1 , 2, or 3 channel packages I think. Not sure what the price of a 1ch is, maybe less than your Blackvue, maybe only after you ask Viofo for a bulk discount?

The front camera is 2K rather than FHD, which I think is very desirable on US roads, due to the small text on your plates.

Also, the cabin camera doesn't have to point at the driver, you can point it at a side mirror to monitor any sideswipes via the mirrors, and do the same on the other side with the rear camera if you aren't using it for the rear, that actual gives you reasonable rear monitoring except for immediately behind, so similar to the driver's view (you don't really want better than the driver's view when it comes to insurance claims), if you can get a good position for the right views - depends on the vehicle.

The A139 has been pretty reliable from introduction, and doesn't seem too fussy about cards, although I recommend Viofos own cards for long life, they are industrial grade MLC cards, built for long life.

Yeah the A139 could be a good option with the tamper proof cover, but it’s only available as a 2 or 3CH option.

Are you going to use any of the fleet cloud services with the 590x? If so I’m assuming you’re already going to have WiFi in the trucks and so yeah the Blackvue would be more advantageous given its cloud capabilities. If not then it’s mostly the tamper proof case, but on Blackvue’s site it still says it’s coming soon. Have you been able to pick one up yet for testing?

Regarding memory cards, yeah 100% skip the pricey Blackvue branded one. You can pick up a Sandisk or Samsung Endurance card for way less.

I don’t have wifi in the trucks, your second assumption that I’m mainly interested in the tamper resistant case is the main reason for evaluating the BlackVue. I also like that the package comes with a direct wire harness. I reached out to thedashcamstore.com a couple months back for a quote and there was no mention of “coming soon” on the tamper enclosure at the time. I’ll call the guy there Monday and ask.

I don’t have wifi in the trucks, your second assumption that I’m mainly interested in the tamper resistant case is the main reason for evaluating the BlackVue. I also like that the package comes with a direct wire harness. I reached out to thedashcamstore.com a couple months back for a quote and there was no mention of “coming soon” on the tamper enclosure at the time. I’ll call the guy there Monday and ask.
Ah gotcha, thanks for clarifying. I just reached out to Blackvue as well and will let you know what they say.

you are asking for trouble if you think the cam can be 'hands off' for a year.
;)
somebody is going to have to check the camera is functioning every few months, (at the least) and format the card.
the trucks don't come into some company facility with any regularity?
Maintenance, warehouse, ????
A semi trained person could service the cam, or swap it out, in a few minutes.

if you are willing to retrieve the data from the truck in the field, i would just keep a few extra cams, and swap them out.

you are asking for trouble if you think the cam can be 'hands off' for a year.
;)
I don't know about the Blackvue, but the Viofo will normally tell you if there is a problem, and the incessant beeping will ensure that it does get sorted!
Problems are almost always a memory card issue, so if you use good long life memory cards, and swap them for new ones at the annual service, then there shouldn't be an issue.

Back