DR900S-2CH randomly restarting

jlwm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I had a DR900S-2CH installed in September 2020 in my 2004 Lincoln Town Car. I purchased it from The Dashcam Store and had it professionally installed by a local installer who installs these systems in high end cars. I used a PMP set to 12.0V/infinite to manage power. After about 2 or 3 months of flawless operation including a 500 mile roadtrip, I started to experience random restarts while driving, and in some instances, the camera would power down and not come back on. I took it back to the installer who tracked it down to a faulty PMP wiring bundle where it connects to the PMP. He swapped out the wiring bundle and I was good until I started having the random restarts again, except the camera would always power back on. The restarts mostly occur when the car is running but not in motion, such as when I'm in a drive thru line or sitting still at curbside pickup with the engine running. It also happened when I turned on the hazard lights once while the car was running. Once the hazards were off, the restarts stopped. It also happens frequently when I put the car in reverse gear. I also observed restarts happening during parking mode while waiting in the car with the engine off. Most of the time, it'll say "Powering down. Restarting", though in some instances, it will just say say "Powering down" and restart without saying "Restarting."

I have a charging system monitor hooked up through my cigarette lighter to see if perhaps the voltage is dropping below the 12.0V threshold setting on my PMP when these restarts occur. When the restarts occur, the monitor says I have good voltage, usually above 13V. In fact, while the hazard lights were on, I noticed the voltage jumping from 13.4 to 13.3-13.2 and back again, still it wasn't below the 12.0V threshold. I took it back to my installer and they suggested sending the unit back under warranty. My firmware is up to date and I've reformatted the proprietary BlackVue 64GB SD card numerous times.

This feels like a power interruption issue. However, as I stated before, when it happens, my charging system monitor shows the system to have good voltage well above the PMP's shutoff threshold. Is it possible that the power interruptions are so small that they're not being recorded by the voltage monitor, but it's just enough of an interruption to shut off the camera? I guess I should also mention my electrical system health. The alternator was replaced in January 2019, and my battery was manufactured in April 2019 and installed shortly thereafter. I thought it might be a low battery, but even after a day or two on a float charger, the camera still restarts randomly.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

bypass the PMP and plug the camera directly into your cig lighter and see if you still get the random restarts while running
Good idea. I'll have to order a cig lighter plug for the camera. When I initially ordered the camera, I selected the fuse tap bundle option and didn't receive a cig lighter plug.

are you sure you don't have it, the power magic pro has a female cig socket on it that the camera plugs into, unplug it there and plug into the cig socket in your vehicle

are you sure you don't have it, the power magic pro has a female cig socket on it that the camera plugs into, unplug it there and plug into the cig socket in your vehicle
So I went just now to check the wiring and look for the female cig socket. I noticed the installer tucked some of the wiring underneath the carpet on the driver's side. I pressed against the floorboard at that particular spot with my hand and the camera started rebooting. I applied continuous pressure with my foot and the camera stayed off until I released pressure. I untucked the carpet from the floorboard and found the female cig socket was tucked underneath the carpet at that spot where my foot rests. Apparently, my foot's resting pressure loosened it while driving. I've re-secured the connection and will tuck it where my foot can't disturb it. We'll see how everything goes tomorrow. Thanks for the guidance!

Secure that connection with tape, tywraps, or something as the do tend to work loose over time otherwise.

Phil

Back