Drilling holes on the DR400G-HD for cooling?

MrKrabs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello there!

I got 2x DR400G-HD a few months ago and recently bought 2x DR400G-HD II to use as a rear-facing camera for the 2 cars in the family. It's a shame I didn't know about this site/forum before buying the extra 2 :(

I was aware of the overheating problems, but didn't know the "Season II" had a worse image than the first model. Given that there is no warranty anyway (heh), why not mod this camera and drill a lot of holes on top (and bottom) of it, like the DR500GW-HD (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88)?

Has anyone tried this? I don't think it can do any harm except for some dust that will eventually get inside of it.

I'm willing to sacrifice one of my cameras to try it out. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
salvix said:
Hello there!

I got 2x DR400G-HD a few months ago and recently bought 2x DR400G-HD II to use as a rear-facing camera for the 2 cars in the family. It's a shame I didn't know about this site/forum before buying the extra 2 :(

I was aware of the overheating problems, but didn't know the "Season II" had a worse image than the first model. Given that there is no warranty anyway (heh), why not mod this camera and drill a lot of holes on top (and bottom) of it, like the DR500GW-HD (viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88)?

Has anyone tried this? I don't think it can do any harm except for some dust that will eventually get inside of it.

I'm willing to sacrifice one of my cameras to try it out. Thoughts?

Hi salvix,

I have not seen anyone drill cooling holes into their BlackVue cameras. I guess it would dissipate heat better, but I am not sure if it is sufficient. Some people have drilled a hole to improve audio quality.

dashcamtalk.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_09_Blackvue_DR400G_HD_II_Drill_Mic_1.jpg

dashcamtalk.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_09_Blackvue_DR400G_HD_II_Drill_Mic_2.jpg

dashcamtalk.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_09_Blackvue_DR400G_HD_II_Drill_Mic_3.jpg

dashcamtalk.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_09_Blackvue_DR400G_HD_II_Drill_Mic_4.jpg

dashcamtalk.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_09_Blackvue_DR400G_HD_II_Drill_Mic_5.jpg

If you don't use the camera in parking mode, the overheating problems are definitely reduced.

Good luck if you go ahead with this mod.

Dash Cam Man

Last edited by a moderator:
Back