dropped it

AllanH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Nextbase 412gw which has been working fine for a couple of years. Last week I dropped it and the sd card came out. Now it says "insert sd card" when it powers up and is not recording. I have just tried the card in my pc and it is fine, Any ideas?

Is it under warranty? If not then open it up and see what’s been damaged, most likely the SD card holder has probably come off the main circuit board.

Nextbase used to offer some repairs but I don't know if they still do that. Would be worth asking them I guess. If it is the card socket and they don;'t want to fix it then any really good computer repair shop can do that for you.

Phil

Luckily I work in electronics so I took it to work this morning. You were right the card holder had broken away from the board. Soldered it back on (see before and after photos) its working fine now.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Attachments

• 20200113_134343.jpg
    20200113_134343.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200113_134257.jpg
    20200113_134257.jpg
    916.3 KB · Views: 12
Did you resolder/reflow the actual connectors or just the side tab? If just the side tab then you might find issues as possibly the actual connectors may now only be making connection via contact/friction.

In the pic where the silver tape is at the backside, peel it back and take a look at the joints there.

The connectors were fine, it was just the side that needed to be anchored securely.

That's a somewhat common problem. The socket housing 'sinks heat' when the batch soldering is being done, and since adding to the heating time would harm other components it's not unheard of for this to be a 'cold joint' and weak. Glad to hear the fix was easy!

Phil

Back