Duo HD failed out of warranty

BadgerAnt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My nextbase duo hd has failed after 15 months and after speaking to nextbase they confirmed it sounds like a hardware failure.
I have to return it to Nextbase to be inspected and they will send me a repair estimate but i was told a refurbished replacement will be £100 should they deem it uneconomical to repair.

Does anyone have any experience of repairs by nextbase?

My issue is that for something costing close to £200 to only last 15 months is very poor and in my mind unfit for purpose. I am not sure i want another nextbase camera.
I have contacted Halfords about returning under the consumer rights act but have not received any replies.

I thinking that for £100 i can purchase a new camera of a different brand. Any recommendations for a front and rear camera?

Thanks

If it was a manufacturing fault then they should fix/replace it for free, and if there is a hardware fault then I would think that would qualify as a manufacturing fault... unless you have broken it?

For a dual camera, the Viofo A129 is often recommended, will be a little over the £100 budget, but they are reliable. However you should get your money back from Nextbase first, then you have plenty of budget.

It may just be a battery failure, not sure where that leaves you if it is out of warranty, but may be a cheap fix. The Viofos don't use batteries to avoid that issue.

Hi Nigel
Thanks for your reply. I meant to say that if i had to spend another £100 i would rather put it towards a new unit so i'll look at the viofo.

I guess i'll have to wait and see what they say when they get it back.

The exact same thing has happened to me after just 19 months They've given me a return code but I'm more inclined to take it up with Halfords directly as it was clearly sold with a fault as a camera costing £200 should last longer. It was properly hardwired with a Nextbase kit etc. so I'm going to try my luck with the Consumer Rights Act. Mine comes on for about 10 mins and records, then freezes and shows the next base logo and is unresponsive. I'm guessing it could be the internal battery doing something weird

Hi
My nextbase duo hd has failed after 15 months and after speaking to nextbase they confirmed it sounds like a hardware failure.
I have to return it to Nextbase to be inspected and they will send me a repair estimate but i was told a refurbished replacement will be £100 should they deem it uneconomical to repair.

Does anyone have any experience of repairs by nextbase?

My issue is that for something costing close to £200 to only last 15 months is very poor and in my mind unfit for purpose. I am not sure i want another nextbase camera.
I have contacted Halfords about returning under the consumer rights act but have not received any replies.

I thinking that for £100 i can purchase a new camera of a different brand. Any recommendations for a front and rear camera?

Thanks
See my comment below - did you get a response from next base or Halfords? Cheers

Hi
Halfrauds returned my email about 2 weeks later and were not interested even after mentioning the consumer rights act.

To be fair to nextbase they were very helpful. In the end it was a hardware failure and was uneconomical to repair. I was offered a refurbished replacement for the price of a battery replacement which was £31. I made sure that this was supplied with another 12 month warranty before accepting.
I would have made more of an issue if it was more expensive.
Since getting my camera back a work colleagues camera suffered exactly the same fault at only 13 months old. We both agreed that it was probably heat related due to the recent hot weather causing the battery to fail. It seems we have a camera with a parking mode that shouldnt be left in the car in hot weather.

The nextbase repair centre also sells refurbished cameras on ebay under id tvanddvdsurplus

Hi BadgerAnt,
what were the symptoms of the failure?

cheers

Back