Dutch dashcam enthousiast

DutchDriver

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Dash Cam
DDPai M6 Plus
Just wanted to give you an introduction before I start posting.

My name is Martijn and I live in the south of the Netherlands. I've been interested in (what is now called) dashcams since the '90s, when the TV-programme Blik op de Weg was introduced on Dutch television. It was a TV docu series on human behaviour in traffic, showing lots of on-board video material collected from covert Police traffic surveillance, sometimes followed by Police officers confronting the drivers with their behaviour.

I was about 12 years old when the series started. Since then, I've always wanted camera's on thing with four wheels that could drive: radio controlled cars, skelters, karts, cars. Of course this wasn't easy, since camera's where still big, heavy and didn't have any money.

While time and technology progressed, having a camera (and having a car) became more... realistic ;-) but driving a car didn't really happen until about 10 years ago. At that point I started to seriously research having a camera in my car. Dashcams as we know them now weren't really around back then, or I didn't know how to find them. So I made some plans to install a mini-PC in the car using a webcam. Also wanted to use this PC to capture ODB-II data and create software to use that data to draw a speedometer, gear, rpm, etc in the video.

I also bought a couple of driving-related domain names to start a blog, but my plans never finished. Meanwhile dashcams started to become more popular, improve in quality and functionality, and now I've bought a DDPai M6 Plus. So now I finally have (sort of) what a wanted many, many years ago.

Recorded a test drive this saturday and now figuring out the best H.264 video workflow.

Welcome to the party Boosty.

Back