DYI USB-cable

dino

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I have been having my front Mobius sitting in its final (?) position for awhile now, I'm pretty much happy with the result... if it wasn't for the cable not being angled the way I want it. Finding a lengthy up-angled cable proved harder that expected, non of my usual suppliers had any and the few I found online always got ridiculously expensive when the shipping was added. Eventually I gave up and ordered a cheap short up-angle extension cable instead with the idea the chubby coupling part between my hardwired original 3m-cable and the extension could be hidden inside the ceiling panel, however that little piece of cable is yet to arrive and by now I have my doubts I will ever see it.

So I did some scavenging instead and found a usb-cable originally belonging to the same old gps unit that gave away the ball joint I previously hacked off and re-used. It had the exact mini-usb connector I was looking for, unfortunately the cable was too short and it had a cigarette lighter connector to its other end making it way too bulky to be hidden somewhere if used with a car 12V-extension cable.

Why not make my own cable, can't be that hard? Using a spare standard usb-cable I trimmed them both to the combined length needed (it felt weird to scissor them off, but who knows, maybe this is the future ;) ) Some splinting later, a lot of checking with my multimeter, and with some solder isolating tape and heat shrink I now have my very own perfect cable.

2014-07-05 15.43.44.jpg

And poor Mobius didn't got fried when I hooked everything up either, what about that? :)

(edit: fixed some typos and horrible grammar)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back