early morning surprises!

glad you didn't hit them. it can be pretty crazy. i've never hit a deer myself, though my brother hit one on his motorcycle. knocked him off and put him and his bike into a bunch of mud just off the side of the road. totalled the 2-month-old SV-650 because after the hit, the bike went straight into a curb, taco'd the front rim, bent the forks and cracked the head tube... along with all the other damage from when it finally landed.

meanwhile the deer kept on running after it got back up.

Ouch! Hope he's okay by now? Every biker's nightmare hitting a large animal. We hit one about 10 years ago. It wrote the hire car off but astonishingly, as with your brother, the deer just carried on running. Tough old things. We searched the hedgerows but it was nowhere to be seen!

Here's a different early morning encounter! This one escaped the government cull:

Not so sure this plan for re-introducing extinct animals to Britain is such a brilliant idea. There's quite a lot of wildlife on the roads already! Only last week, someone was reportedly killed after hitting a wild boar.

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co....s-road-death/story-25843791-detail/story.html

my brother was ok other than a few bruises since he always rides w/ full leathers and full face helmet. plus he landed in soft mud so it wasn't a super hard landing.

if i'm not mistaken, in texas and louisiana the wild boar problem is so bad that the game warden has declared that it's boar season 365 days a year, with no limit. they're invasive, destructive, dangerous, and they apparently breed like rabbits. and they're hard to kill too. very thick skulls, armor-like cartilage plates on their sides, thick hide... Sons of Guns even did an episode about building a set of boar-killer rifles for local farmers off the ar15 platform, with a much bigger bore and hotter load to be able to get through the armor, since a .223 wasn't enough. it was made because the boars were killing livestock and seriously injuring other farm animals like horses, and farmers needed something better to deal with the boars.

I hate animals, that think they belong on the road. o_O:eek:

I've hit
Deer in a Pickup Truck
Coyote/Dog in my Car
and Deer 3 separate times in a Semi.

and countless close calls. ;)

my brother was ok other than a few bruises since he always rides w/ full leathers and full face helmet. plus he landed in soft mud so it wasn't a super hard landing.

Glad to hear your brother came off okay. :)

building a set of boar-killer rifles for local farmers off the ar15 platform, with a much bigger bore and hotter load to be able to get through the armor, since a .223 wasn't enough. it was made because the boars were killing livestock and seriously injuring other farm animals like horses, and farmers needed something better to deal with the boars.

Spoken like a true Texan! Coincidentally I was just tuning in to my favourite Texan talkshow host; all the way from Austin TX, Mr Alex "are you listening to me?" Jones. He was chatting about his wild boar shoots with an AK47 (!)..

Alex Jones of infowars com said:
“I have shot wild hogs with AK-47s in Texas. Sometimes you shoot one in the head and the bullet goes right through and there’s no blood. Sometimes you shoot one in the head and it blows up like a pumpkin.”

And talking of breeding like wabbits, here's another instalment of wildlife on Britain's roads!

If only we had an NRA here, we wouldn't have this wildlife problem!

cheers, micky moo

Last edited:
Sons of Guns even did an episode about building a set of boar-killer rifles for local farmers off the ar15 platform, with a much bigger bore and hotter load to be able to get through the armor, since a .223 wasn't enough. it was made because the boars were killing livestock and seriously injuring other farm animals like horses, and farmers needed something better to deal with the boars.
here's a few clips from the episode i mentioned:
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/hogzilla-gun-videos/

and an article about it:
http://www.gunsandammo.com/uncategorized/building-the-ar-to-kill-hogzilla-the-458-socom-ar-15/

Last edited:
Cheers, if and when we move to Texas (or maybe the Crown wins it back for us first), that'll be my first shooter - a .458!

lol 'the crown wins it back'. of course if that happened they'd bring over the same laws you have now and ruin your dreams of gun ownership.

seriously though... with firearms it's best to start small. dad started me with a bb gun, then a .22 rifle (which has barely more kick than the bb gun), then a 30.06, which has some kick (especially when you're a small 8 yr old boy like i was lol).

now i own a walther p22 (plinker, more for my wife than me since it's a bit small for my hands) and springfield xd9. have used a few others owned by friends, including a .308 sniper rifle, a mostly stock ar15, and plenty of other pistols to help me choose what i wanted to buy for myself. if you don't have friends who will let you borrow one, some ranges have rentals.

Many years ago I started an office job as a student in the middle of winter. They told me I might have to be moved from my desk, as it was actually somebody else's and they were off sick.

A few months later, she came back to work, and told us the story. She'd been sleeping in the backseat of a pickup, and it hit a moose on the highway. The nose of the truck broke through the moose's legs, and the body smashed into the cab of the truck, at highway speed. Driver and passenger killed. She survived, thanks to being in the back. Broken bones, eyeball out of its socket, bruising everywhere, partial loss of use of one arm. Now she's got lots of game whistles on her truck.

glad you didn't hit them. it can be pretty crazy. i've never hit a deer myself, though my brother hit one on his motorcycle. knocked him off and put him and his bike into a bunch of mud just off the side of the road. totalled the 2-month-old SV-650 because after the hit, the bike went straight into a curb, taco'd the front rim, bent the forks and cracked the head tube... along with all the other damage from when it finally landed.

meanwhile the deer kept on running after it got back up.
Same thing happened to my brother in Oklahoma.
He was driving back from work at night and saw deer running across the road.
Not small ones, those were full adults.
He slowed down enough to let them all pass or so he thought.
As soon as all was clear and he sped up, another big one came hopping from the other side to join the group.
No major damage inside but car's hood was pretty banged up and so did the deer.
It laid on the side of the road unconscious.
He called cops but they said they can't come so the cops called a local farmer in that area who came and shot the deer and took it for some good eating. :D

I have encountered many but never hit one thankfully.
Antelopes and elks are even worse.
They are big and very uncooperative.
I saw one in foothills here at night. Almost hit it.
It was in the middle of the road and didn't move even with horns from cars from both sides.
Had to wait over 5 minutes.
Another was in CO springs. When I honked, it just looked straight at me and continued to walk in the middle of the road for few minutes.

Too bad that it was before I had any dashcams.

traffic jam in my dad's neighborhood today :D
IMG_20150311_171619.jpg

of course, dad lives next to a wildlife preserve. the deer are slow and c ocky because they know no hunting is allowed here. sometimes we see elk, coyotes, and even bobcats.

as for dumb animals sitting in the road, i've had to nudge a calf (baby cow, not a moose or anything) that was standing in the road and wouldn't move no matter how much cars on both side honked. the nose of my miata was barely high enough to hit the calf above the knee, but once i bumped him, his eyes got big and he moved.

as for dumb animals sitting in the road, i've had to nudge a calf (baby cow, not a moose or anything) that was standing in the road and wouldn't move no matter how much cars on both side honked. the nose of my miata was barely high enough to hit the calf above the knee, but once i bumped him, his eyes got big and he moved.
You hit a baby cow?
Shame on you. ;)

Back