Endurance in micro SD cards

unu

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
SJ4000
Viofo A129 duo is recording at 20 megabits per second. That's like 10 GB per hour per camera, so a 128 GB card is enough for 128/20 - 6 hours of recording.
That means that the card is completely rewritten 4 times in 24 hours.

Say we leave the camera on for 6 hours per day, that means that in like a week we get 1 TB written.

With Transcend 128 GB High Endurance, the official endurance spec is 170 TB. That's 1190 * 7 = 3.2 years.
The 64 GB model has half endurance so it's 1.6 / 2 = 0.8 years.
The SuperMLC cards are rated at 300 TB endurance. But they only come in up to 16 GB => 5.7 / 8 = 0.7 years.
For Samsung cards I can't find any official endurance specs.

Anyway, are my calculations correct? If so, what's the most cost effective micro SD card to buy for dashcam use? Not just from Transcend, but from any manufacturer. I only mentioned Transcend because I can find the endurance rating on their site.

Last edited:
Sandisk also doesn't list endurance in TB. They use hours, which I don't know what it means for Sandisk... 1 hour of video can have any bitrate

If you use the factory firmware then you should get 8 hours on 128GB, and if it is low bitrate parking mode then 4x that.

Last time I worked it out the Samsung Endurance was well in the lead for the ones with published lifetimes.

The Viofo MLC cards also look good, but they don't specify how many write cycles they can manage other than "thousands", it does seem to work well with very constant read/write speeds, and the U3 speed rating makes it a good choice for the A129 Pro 4K:

I can't find any official rating on Samsung Pro Endurance, but in the product reviews someone mentioned 4000 cycles for 128 GB. That should be like 500 TB, well over Transcend's cards.

I can't find any official rating on Samsung Pro Endurance, but in the product reviews someone mentioned 4000 cycles for 128 GB. That should be like 500 TB, well over Transcend's cards.
The Samsung website gives hours of video recorded and also gives the bitrate used to calculate the hours, so you can work out the TB.

I would like to buy the larger card for the 129, so Samsung makes one? If I get a cart together I would like to have the correct brand for the 129 the 256GB I think

Back