Error installing custom firmware

Anno655321

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A129 Duo w/ CF
Hello,

I have followed the guide at https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/how-to-install-the-custom-firmware-1-5-to-dr650gw-2ch.9849 but when I get to the stage where I put the SD card into the camera and power on it just keeps saying "Please check the SD Card"

I have
  • Formatted the card
  • Copied DR650-2CH ENG 1.003 to SD card
  • Removed System folder
  • Replaced System folder with custom firmware
but still doesn't work. I have even tried RUS 1.003 and ENG 1.004 but still nothing.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can get this to work I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
When I did this with my DR600 I did not copy the custom software to the system folder and it appears it is the same for the DR650 if you read the link above again. The custom firmware should be moved to the root and not into any other folders. Give it a try

I wish I was brave enough to install the custom firmware :)

What are the main advantages and is it totally stable ?

Higher bitrates which means much clearer pictures especially good for reading license plates.

Yes it was very stable and when it is availabel for my DR650GW-1CH I will buy it again.

Cheers @fastcarguy1 I did get it working (although I can't remember how).

Custom Firmware is great, better bitrate, wifi settings. Just need to invest in a decent micro SD card that can handle more than 20MB/s write speed.

Do you not get more heat in the camera with eg. higher bitrate causing less stability ? If not, why did the manufacturer not do it ? Surely they have tested all this....who knows

Do you not get more heat in the camera with eg. higher bitrate causing less stability ?
I haven't noticed anymore heat coming from the camera. I also leave mine connected using the PMP for 6 hours when the engine is off and have never had any issues.

The only thing I have found is sometimes the video stutters (I think this is because I chose 20MB/s bitrate for the forward camera so reduced to 14MB/s now and it working. Still playing with the WDR settings for night mode as the rear camera looks quite grainy compared to the standard FW.

My new Micro SD Card arrived and I set the front camera to 18MB/s bitrate and seems really smooth.

Here is an example for you @Andy Moore

(Driving in the UK on motorway in the morning) remember to watch in 1080p :)

Thanks for that - wonderfully clear ! Just curious what bitrate original firmware uses and does it sort out the Parking Mode Movement Detector sensitivity issues ?

Looks like the original FW runs at 8MB/s for Front and 3MB/s for Rear. Not really looked into the parking mode settings. Although you can change the FPS in parking mode from 15 to 30.

Back