EV adjustment after CPL filter is fitted ?

BJB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've fitted a removable CPL filter on my 412GW to reduce Dash glare. Now, as expected, in cloudy conditions everything seems to be too dark, and at night it as you would expect, worse. When changing the EV, its too bright under most conditions. The Exposure increments on this Dashcam are x1, where my previous camera had increments of x .3, x.7, x1 . so giving me a better chance of a compromise. Has anyone else here, who has fitted one, managed to get an acceptable video footage. Thanks

Have you adjusted the CPL correctly?

Thanks. Yes it is adjusted correctly. I had it fitted to my old 0805 mini before getting this 412gw. Iirc I altered it only by .3, which compensated for the lens .
Rather than by x1, could Nextbase make the adjustments less for fine tuning, as there is quite a difference at x1. Thank you

Could I ask which CPL filter you have and how you have fitted it? Thanks

Hi, the CPL filter was bought through Combi, they were the people I bought my Mini 0805 from. I'm not sure if I bought it via EBay, or directly from them (an extremely helpful company, and an excellent price)
I fitted it by cutting a circular ring out of a sticky backed magnetic strip. It is then fitted around the camera lens, then the CPL just attaches to the magnet enabling you to twist it to the correct position. Once positioned, I put a Tipex mark on the top part of outer ring to know the correct position.

Which way does the exposure setting work ?

Does + make the recording lighter or darker ?

+ will make it brighter. As I said before, increasing it by 1 is too much.....

It's a question I can ask development @BJB, can you send a photo of the lens and a file so I can see what effect it's having?

I fitted the genuine filter from Nextbase. I have to adjust the EV to +1 which makes daytime too bright, on 0 it’s too dark. Ideally, an adjustment of +0.3 would be perfect. Could this be implemented in a new update Tiffany??

Thanks Zed4 for confirming my thoughts. Hopefully there should be two photos, one without, and one with CPL fitted (darker). In brighter conditions there's not an issue, only on duller days.
I see others appear to have noticed the slightly darker image. Also some other makes of Dashcams increase there EV by .3 , .7 . Or 1/3. 2/3.Screenshot_20180211-170849.pngScreenshot_20180211-170911.png

I'll drag this up again.

My old 402 had a near perfect exposure on setting zero, and no glare.

My 412 and 380, in my opinion, are too bright on exposure zero that contributes to glare.

I've just done a run, in bright sun with -1 set and that is too dark. However it has made the colours better and reduced dash glare.

So, I reckon, in full agreement with the above, that -1 should be the max with say .3 and .7 being the intermediate. Or better still increments of .1

I agree, I still think smaller increments would be more beneficial when using a CPL.(but like TT Sat nav, the customer doesn't need certain options !) With these Dashcams being mass produced, does anyone know if/how the exposures are checked?
Also I don't know if anyone has compared images on (Dashcam) screen, between Videos and Photo, but my Photo mode under certain conditions, is a lot brighter than Video ?

I'm basing my comment without the filter. The filter on my 412 helped quite a lot but the 380 doesn't have one available.

I dread to think what -2 would do - black :cool:

Am I right in thinking, that NB has no intention of changing the EV increments as some of us here hoped for. I don't think many are using the LARGER NB +/- 1 settings ,(but could be wrong), would have been nice to think they thought about it though ........

I'm hoping for similar on the 380.

0 is too bright and -1 is too dark.

@Tiffany, sorry to keep asking, but has there been any feedback at all from the development team about smaller EV settings. Thank you

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Skylar132 412GW 1
simonwwfc 412GW 8
Back