Explanation of menu choices

laflaone

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro, 3 ch
First, I am new to dashcams, and new to the forum. This is my first post, so if this is a stupid question, please cut me a little slack. I have a 2020 Subaru Forester Limited. I just bought and installed a Viofo A229 Pro, 3 channel. Since I am 81 and not as limber as I once was, installation was interesting. Particularly putting in the parking mode hardware kit. I also successfully upgraded the firmware to the new November release. (Viofo's website still has the 9/28 version as the latest. Why is that?) Anyway, to my question: Has anyone produced a comprehensive written guide explaining all the menu choices? A lot is common sense, but a lot is over the head for a newbie like me. Thanks. BTW, as far as forums go, this appears to be a good one.

There's some explanations here of the app settings, the settings in the camera are the same, skip to 35:30

A lot is common sense, but a lot is over the head for a newbie like me.
First, do take note that normally, the defaults are the best settings for nearly everyone, and if you don't understand an option then it is best not to change from the default!

You are welcome to ask here about any that you don't understand, they are all common sense and obvious once you know what they are, so nobody ever thinks it is worth writing a description!

Welcome to the forum laflaone.
WTF ??? there is a Jensen beach in FL,,,,,,,, this guy from the land of the Jensens like that.

I do not change very much when setting up a new dashcam.

I set my time zone so that is correct, this mean right now +1 hour for Denmark, but in the summer due to summer time i have to change that to +2 as dashcams do not allow for automatic summer / winter time adjustments like phones and computers would.
Then if its not default i select 3 minute for the video segment size, normally you can choose between 1-2-3-5-10 minutes here.
Then if not default i select the best possible image quality / or highest bitrate.
I do not like to have G-sensor on while driving as it might create false events, so if possible i turn that off or set it to low.
On the other side for parking guard mode if you will be using that ( require hard wire kit ) there i do prefer to have G-sensor on with high sensitivity, but i prefer to use the low bitrate parking guard mode that record all the time but at a lesser bitrate so files are smaller.
G-sensoir can be on beside low bitrate mode, it just mean if something bump the car that moment will be lovked and so can not easy be deleted as part of the systems normal routine of recycling old footage to make room for new stuff on a full memory card.
With these new models I i have not sampled ) i think the name of the game is to use HDR in low light, so use the Auto HDR time to handle that handover, you can wait a little to when its dark 4 sure d9ont have to be exactly at sunset.

I dont know how you plan to interact with the system, you can of course do it all with the phone over wifi, but for reviewing footage i prefer the comfort of my 32" PC screen with the memory card in a card good card reader ( not the cheap one many provide with dashcams, a good USB 3 card reader allow you to playback from the card itself, doing that can be laggy with a cheap card reader )
Of course as a avid phone hater, not using that is a big deal for me, i do use it for camera settings as my eyes are too old and tired for the small screens on dashcams, but i would never watch any kind of movie ASO on a little phone screen.

In the bottom of the menu tree there is a reset to default option, if you have messed things up, it is a good thing to play around with the new toy, just dont meddle with too many things at once

There's some explanations here of the app settings, the settings in the camera are the same, skip to 35:30

Thanks! This SDS review is part of the reason I purchased the Viofo. Ben had also made a comparison review of the Viofo vs the Vantrue N4. When he got to the part about the Vantrue's response time of minutes after someone backs into your car, I sent back the Vantrue I had just purchased to Amazon, and ordered the Viofo.

Back