Extended Video Feed Cable - Any known working ones?

McGherkin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evenin' all!

I've got a Mobius to use as a dashcam for the car, and it just so happens that I also have a video system in the dash. The plan is to use an extended mini USB cable from the back of the camera, down through the A-pillars, under the dash and then connect using the standard Mobius TV cable to power and to the RCA inputs for the screen.

I've bought a few extension cables already, but it appears that a pin is not connected (or similar) on those cables because with all of them, the camera has turned on, but hasn't started recording or outputting video (with the mobius video splitter/loom plugged in directly it works fine). Has anyone found a Mini USB extension cable that does work?

I've got the camera set up by using RCA extension cables and USB power both plugged in, but those cables are huge, the RCA in particular has massive connectors and the long and short of it is that they won't fit behind the trim in the car, which is already pretty congested with other cabling for various stuff.

Obligatory photo of the Mobius's feed to the screen; (huge dangling wires just out of shot!)
Photo%2014-03-2014%2004%2025%2013%20PM.png

Thanks folks!

Yes, but I need to extend the Mini USB end of it, to reach the camera.

Yes, but I need to extend the Mini USB end of it, to reach the camera.
Ok here ya go https://www.ebay.com/itm/251468183404
Here is the pin set up
http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/thread...ts-here-read-posts-1-8-first.4232/#post-49843

The USB cable
A standard mini USB cable has +5V connected to pin #1 of the camera's USB socket and -V (ground / earth) connected to pin #5 of the camera's mini USB socket.
On a standard mini USB plug the two center wires (Pin #2 and Pin #3) are the data lines and are only used when the camera is connected to a computer. They are not used when the camera is connected to an external power source such as car battery charger, external wall charger (mains charger), external USB power pack etc.
The camera "tests" the data lines as well as pin #4 to determine the connection type.
The camera can be operated normally using external USB power with the internal battery disconnected.
Pin #4, which is sometimes called Pin x, will switch the camera into AV-out mode (TV-Out) when connected to ground. When in AV-out mode, pin #2 carries the composite video-out signal. In addition, pin #3 carries the audio-out signal when the camera is in playback mode. When switched into AV-out mode by connecting pin #4 to ground (see above), there will be a composite video signal present on pin #2 as soon as the camera is turned on. Auto-power-off will automatically be disabled.

The table below shows all the possible cable connections. In practice you will only need max. 2 different cables. The Mobius is normally sold with a universal cable harness.

MobiusUSBPins.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm talking metre long extensions here! I've already got some, but I don't think all 5 pins are connected because the Mobius doesn't work with them. So I'm looking for a long extension, which is known to work.

That's more like it, but I'll have to sit and decide whether I really want to pay £32 for a cable, lol. Thanks anyway though, I may end up going for that if I can't find anything cheaper.

The cable in the first link is the exact same one I bought, which doesn't work.

Can't convert to USB either as it only has 4 pins and Mini USB has 5.

Back