External Mic Issues

Andrew McIntyre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Been trying to connect a Rode VideoMicro via a GoPro 3.5mm > Mini USB to my Git1 but it isn't working, tried emailing Git but got no reply. Emailed Rode and they helped me to a certain point but still confused why it will not work. Any ideas?

Also noticed that this is seemingly not only an issue for me.

Skip to 12:50

via a GoPro 3.5mm > Mini USB
Is this a real GoPro Hero 4 adaptor?

A lot of the adaptors available don't work properly, normally because they have the wrong value of resistor inside, or no resistor at all.

I think so, it came in a GoPro packet unless it was just repackaged.

It's a Hero 3 one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00A3MY7L8
any links to more reliable ones, do you think this is the issue?
Looks like it should be OK and the comments suggest that it works with your microphone, although the comments on Amazon don't always go with the product they are under!

Can you test it with a multimeter? You can google the pinout for the Hero 4...

i have no means to test, i also have no understanding of pinout. Sorry to be a pain

i have no means to test, i also have no understanding of pinout. Sorry to be a pain
Does the camera work with a GoPro compatible microphone such as the ones sold by Gitup - ie almost any microphone with a USB plug?
Does the camera and cable work with another 3.5mm microphone?
Does the microphone work with another camera/computer?

You can get very cheap 3.5mm microphones for testing with.

You could try another adaptor cable but normally I recommend getting a GoPro one since a lot of others don't work. If you are trying another, get one that specifically claims to be Hero 4 compatible.

My guess is that it is a cable problem...

thanks, the camera works with an external Gitup mic which has a mini usb connector, i have a cheap mini usb on the way, i'll check that and take it from there

mic works in my phone

Last edited:
Seems like it must be the cable causing the problem then.

My guess is that your cable is not Hero 4 compatible, the description doesn't say it is. The comments underneath do say it works with Hero 4 and your microphone, however I guess those comments are for GoPro mic cables in general, not that specific cable - a big problem with amazon comments!

But I don't know why GoPro are still selling old non-compatible microphone cables when I think the Hero 4 ones work fine with all Hero 3.

got 2 coming, one claims to be hero4 compatible with a "chip"

got 2 coming, one claims to be hero4 compatible with a "chip"
I guess "chip" sounds better than "resistor"! It should have a resistor to identify if the cable is a power cable, video cable, microphone cable or stereo microphone cable.

If you get one that works, post the link, might save others some trouble...

Absolutely, there seem to be plenty of people who have had the same trouble and i am desperate to solve it now.

Okay new thing, it actually was recording sound but it's really low, i have the camera on the highest setting for picking up sound. Still the cable? (i have 2 coming in the post)

Okay new thing, it actually was recording sound but it's really low, i have the camera on the highest setting for picking up sound. Still the cable? (i have 2 coming in the post)
Wait until you try the new cables before worrying about that, if it was working OK then it would be at close to normal levels, I wouldn't be surprised if what you hear is actually from the internal microphone.

One of the 2 cables didn't work and turned the LCD screen off aswell, that was the long shot cable anyway. Still waiting for the one with the Hero4 compatibility. Also got a reply from GitUp.

"It's better to use the original microphone of GitUp,hope this is helpful."

Can someone tell me if the boya by-lm20 mic works with git1?

Can someone tell me if the boya by-lm20 mic works with git1?
Yes, that is what I use. Good microphone, but maybe a bit sensitive if you are recording something loud on the Git1.

This was recorded on the Git1 with an LM20:

My git1 didnt work with the boya bylm20 mic..I also tried using boya bygm10 mic and the gopro official mic adapter with the boya lm20 mic but i have no audio at all. The mic does cut the intetnal mic function but i still got mute audio..the only mic that work with my git1 is the gitup external mic..

Back