External Power Issue

ToddB

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey Folks:

It would appear that my Mobius is not getting power from external USB except for when connected to my computer. It does NOT appear to be getting power/charge from either a USB cable/car adapter or a USB/wall adapter plug.

I noticed this last night after artfully running the USB extension cable through my headliner to a position near my rear view mirror expecting a full night of recording, but only got about an hours worth before the camera died.

I do have the "USB Data Port Charging" software option enabled and I am getting 5.1 volts from one of the USB cables I tested that is attached to a wall power adapter. When connected to my computers USB I see the green charging light but not when connected to either of the above mentioned power sources.
Thanks for any help on this!

Hey Folks:

It would appear that my Mobius is not getting power from external USB except for when connected to my computer. It does NOT appear to be getting power/charge from either a USB cable/car adapter or a USB/wall adapter plug.

I noticed this last night after artfully running the USB extension cable through my headliner to a position near my rear view mirror expecting a full night of recording, but only got about an hours worth before the camera died.

I do have the "USB Data Port Charging" software option enabled and I am getting 5.1 volts from one of the USB cables I tested that is attached to a wall power adapter. When connected to my computers USB I see the green charging light but not when connected to either of the above mentioned power sources.
Thanks for any help on this!

check cigarette lighter charger / adapter fuse.

Thanks but I should have mentioned that the cig plug works fine for other devices, just not powering the Mobius from what I can tell. I say 'from what I can tell' because I assume the green charge light should be on if it is charging in the car just as it does when charging by my computer? Otherwise how would I know if it's charging (except for it not working).

check cigarette lighter charger / adapter fuse.

Thanks but I should have mentioned that the cig plug works fine for other devices, just not powering the Mobius from what I can tell. I say 'from what I can tell' because I assume the green charge light should be on if it is charging in the car just as it does when charging by my computer? Otherwise how would I know if it's charging (except for it not working).

Try to use in car for test purpose same usb cable you connecting Mobius to PC and see if it will work?

I am now noticing that when plugged into my wall and car USB cables (both the one that cable works on the PC per your suggestion AND the original cable in my car from last nights test) that there is a very faint light (I think it's green, unfortunately I am a bit color blind which makes some of this troubleshooting tricky) that is on during the flashing yellow record light. Is this how one can tell if the camera is indeed getting external power? Of so, it would seem to working in that regard. Not sure why it ran out of power last night though.

As an update, the camera worked perfectly this evening using the USB car adapter setup that did not work the previous night. i have no idea what changed other than I disabled then re-enabled the "USB Data Port Charging" setting so perhaps that somehow jostled the port into working with external power sources.

Back