Extreme Lowlight: Sony EffioP

adorfer

Reaction score
Country
Germany
As a rear view camera i replaced an older model with a this module from AliExpress for about 50€.
It's a Sony Effio-P board with "extreme WDR" and tons of configuration options.. so you can tweak it's settings, especially for low light and high contrast treatment to the maximum.. so if you prefer more grain or prefer decent black areas if it's dark. Where you want your clipping masking and what about number plate readability. I just put it in a good cast metal case. The image is flipped (due to more convenient placement of the cable exit) and mirrored (not to get confused when looking alternativly at the "mechanical retrovisors"). Off course it's only PAL resolution, but for a rear camera that's enough at least for me.

Since i do not fear grainy image, i put the gain up quite heavily. So here a sample of nighttime drive: industrial area, retail area, overland road, fastfood drive through, residential area.
it's filmed through the rear window. compared to the original optics, i did change the lens for a f=8mm F=1,4. the rear window is a tanned glas of about 80% reduction. so the match "better lens" against "heavy sun protection glas" is probably 1:1.
And yes, none of my other camers does match THIS low light capabilites, not the PowerUCC Panorama2, nor the Pixim Seawolf.

You will see how much the scenery get's illuminated when i hit the brakes and consequently the breaking lights fire up. (and no, there is no "action" in the total video. So do not expect anything to happen.)
And no, the camera is not out of focus, it's the multi exposure ("3D noise reduction") which blurs the image.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or to compare it with the PanoramaII directly (I tried to drive through different scenarios of light situations.)

Good to see but I don't like how it looks. Have you tried to identify a license plate with the Sony EffioP in such a low light situation?

I prefer the 1280x720 or 1920x1080 resolution and of course the look of the PowerUCC Panorama2.

germany said:
Have you tried to identify a license plate with the Sony EffioP in such a low light situation?
Just forward to 14:50, there is a car behind me. And a few seconds later again at 15:10 same situation (and same car ;-)
For me that's readable.
http://youtu.be/9S1U0ECn4mY?t=14m50s

Ok, I had it on 720p but when I switched to 1080p then it possible to identify :)

What I always do when I have two dashcams: I make the front dashcam full screen and put the rear dash cam video in a small shape (I cut a little bit away from above and below or put it in some kind of mask which has the size of an inner mirror) and then I put it on the upper area in the front dash cam video.

My english is too bad to explain that but I want to tell you but at the end it looks like an inner mirror where the video from the other dashcam runs :D

germany said:
What I always do when I have two dashcams: I make the front dashcam full screen and put the rear dash cam video in a small shape (I cut a little bit away from above and below or put it in some kind of mask which has the size of an inner mirror) and then I put it on the upper area in the front dash cam video.

My english is too bad to explain that but I want to tell you but at the end it looks like an inner mirror where the video from the other dashcam runs :D

yeah I've seen that done before, it's a cool effect :)

I am still looking for some kind of (linux?) software, who does this (neraly) fully automatic in some kind of batch mode.
So just to toss the files into a directory and start the script. The output should be rendered just by taking the respective files from the directories, match it by the date stamps of the files (i would fine adjust them before to the second).

Back