F770 Time Lapse problem.

twodogron

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not having the best of luck with my new F770,
Can't seem to get the Parking Time Lapse to work, as this was one of the main reasons for buying the F770 it's disappointing to say the least.
I've gone through the settings a dozen times but haven't had any luck so far.

Just records as normal when parked even when parked over extended periods, the firmware is the latest download from Thinkware Support site. The Time Lapse option is selected correctly under Parking Mode.
It operates from a Hard Wire Kit which is both time and voltage adjustable.
Maybe I should try and run the cam from the inbuilt TH Time and Voltage adjustments rather than the Hard Wire Kit adjustment !!

I would turn off the ignition and stay sitting in the car for a minute, it should verbally tell you after approx 30 seconds (assuming to have a volume level set) that parking mode has started. Also the GPS light should go OFF. If you're parked at the moment and the GPS light is still on something is wrong with the wiring. Probably to do with the Ignition (Red) wire sounds like it still has voltage on it when the ignition is off.

Thanks Maddog1974.
I did what you suggest but after 5 mins the GPS light was still on........
The hardwire kit was installed (almost 2 years ago) by a qualified auto electrician but I fear, as you suggest, the wiring is all wrong.
At the time of fitting I was running an iTronics cam which I mistakenly thought had very poor Parking Mode but now realise it was probably the hardwire installation all along.
Can you confirm that Yellow is permanent on and Red is switched ignition on the F770, this seems to have been the opposite prior to May 2016.
My F770 is new so I'm assuming the wires should be Yellow permanent, Red Switched !!
I'm running a late 2015 Audi A3 Sportback so would you have any information on the Fuse Box (correct fuses to use) as I've been told that some switched circuits on the Audi maintain power for some considerable time after the ignition has been switched off.

the camera has a three wire connection to operate parking mode, if you are plugged into some other hardwire kit that is likely your issue, wire it up correctly and you should be working fine

Yellow is Permanent and Red is Ignition on the later looms (since about April 2016) Sorry i don't have any info on the fuse box connections as i'm office based and not an installer :(

Thanks Maddog1974,
I appreciate your comments and I understand about not having Audi fuse information to hand, I was hoping that someone knowledgable in Audi circuitry might see this post as I've already had the "experts" install and re-check it...... You know how you invest your trust (and money) into such people.
Some might say take the car back to Audi but the labour cost would probably amount to more than the cost of the Dash Cam..
Thanks again.

Hi Jokiin ...... Thanks for the comment but it is a 3 wire hard wire kit and the black has been correctly grounded.......... pretty sure it's just getting the Yellow and Red the right way around and on a suitable fuse........
As you say, as soon as it is wired up correctly it will be fine........

Hi Jokiin ...... Thanks for the comment but it is a 3 wire hard wire kit and the black has been correctly grounded.......... pretty sure it's just getting the Yellow and Red the right way around and on a suitable fuse........
As you say, as soon as it is wired up correctly it will be fine........

what hardwire kit are you using, from your earlier comments it sounds like you have the wrong product (need to confirm), is this something that you plug a cig lead into?

I was hoping that someone knowledgable in Audi circuitry might see this post as I've already had the "experts" install and re-check it...

I have an Audi A3 that's hardwired. What exactly are you looking for? Mine (a F800) is hardwired to 12V, ACC and ground using the Thinkware hardwire.

Thanks very much for your comments, very much appreciated, first though, probably best if we first establish exactly which Hard Wire Kit is suitable for the Thinkware Dash Cam Parking Mode, is it ONLY the TW Hard Wire Kit that will give me Parking Mode.... It would probably be best to establish this fact first ? Thanks.

Thanks for the links raqball,
jokiin obviously has some important information on Hard Wire Kits, it would be interesting to hear about that so we would all be aware of the correct and necessary kit we need to get a TW Dash Cam to perform Parking Mode correctly.
I am only a laymen, a novice, but eager to learn from experienced guys of their knowledge of dash cam installation and operation.

the three wire power lead has to connect directly to the camera, the functions change depending on whether the camera sees accessory power or not, if you have it plugged into something like a Power Magic Pro or similar it won't work correctly

Thanks for this information jokiin, I wasn't aware of these conditions and never read of it anywhere in the literature before buying the Thinkware but then I thought an hard wire kit, was just that, a hard wire kit with a Red, Yellow and Black lead, with I must add, the correct labels all as per Thinkware requirements.
Not even the Professionals I consulted knew about these conditions !!!!
Live and learn as they say, just have to go out and buy another hardwiring kit....... or could I just cut the end off the superior iTronics hardwire kit I already have ?
Cheers..

Thanks for this information jokiin, I wasn't aware of these conditions and never read of it anywhere in the literature before buying the Thinkware but then I thought an hard wire kit, was just that, a hard wire kit with a Red, Yellow and Black lead, with I must add, the correct labels all as per Thinkware requirements.
Not even the Professionals I consulted knew about these conditions !!!!
Live and learn as they say, just have to go out and buy another hardwiring kit....... or could I just cut the end off the superior iTronics hardwire kit I already have ?
Cheers..

I'm not sure what hardwire kit you have but it is unlikely to be compatible, cutting it will just render it useless for this application anyway

the timer and voltage cutoff settings are built into the camera directly but need the correct power lead to operate

Back