Factory-fitted USB sockets at popular dashcam positions?

gr1nch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think that it would be a good idea for discreet USB sockets to be factory-fitted right by the two most popular dashcam positions: center top windscreen, front and back?

Every one of us dashcam users runs a power cable to a power socket, either dangling down in front of the windscreen (ugly, obtrusive) or down the A pillar (fiddly and risky if an airbag there). Historically power sockets, I'd guess, inherit their position from the ergonomics of a cigarette lighter, ie near and low down on the centre console. But rethinking dashcams anew, why not supply power to where it is needed? Virtually all modern cars have power into the ceiling cavity for lighting, so above head power cabling should not be an issue. They can extend the loom out to the top, centre windscreens.

For example on my car there is a large sensor "binnacle" or cover, which is easily large enough to house a 5V USB socket.
59fd702a0cda0565cce5cdf751fee55a.jpg

Also which car marque is likely to offer this first? Not that it would be a major influence on car purchase, but I'm interested who'd be first. I'd guess one of Ford, Citroen or Mazda.

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
That's an attractive looking system, but Citroen on the C3 got there before Audi - http://www.citroen.co.uk/about-citroen/technology/connectedcam-citroen

What I'm specifically interested in is factory-fitted dashcam-relevant power sockets, so drivers can fit any desired dashcam (as most of us do here) not a model selected by the marque - which isa whole different (and increasingly interesting) discussion.

I still have one dashcam that's in regular use that isn't powered by USB. and a lot of "true" parking mode dashcams will come with their own hardwiring kit for a fusebox hookup. I do like this idea, though. it's neat and I may have to tackle this project someday but I don't change dashcams very often anymore. regular reviewers and testers will benefit from this for sure.

I still have one dashcam that's in regular use that isn't powered by USB. and a lot of "true" parking mode dashcams will come with their own hardwiring kit for a fusebox hookup. I do like this idea, though. it's neat and I may have to tackle this project someday but I don't change dashcams very often anymore. regular reviewers and testers will benefit from this for sure.
So maybe it could work best like this:
* Factory-fit USB sockets at the dashcam end (e.g. top, centre windscreen)
* The factory-fitted USB cables from these sockets connect to the car's power system.
* Users can choose, via the car's computerised management system (or it could be a simple button) to switch the power between either:
- "continuous power" with cut off at a reasonable battery voltage drop level, emulating a hardwire kit
or
- "power only when car active", i.e. when driving, but not parking

I like your idea better.
ATM dashcams are not mature enough to invest in a factory version circa £1000 from MB if they made one.
Imo These are currently throw away upgradeable consumables.
When they have true 4K at 60fps and proper night vision like my MB revering cam then I would order it new ... till then I wouldnt
2 weeks after delivery out will come a £250 Nextbase with quadruple the quality! :(:(

I don't think you will see USB sockets up there. Too much liability. There are many countries and (in US) states that don't allow anything mounted on the winshield. Some may feel that this would encourage people to stick all kinds of crap in their field of view.

A few car makers are offering dashcams now and that short list will grow longer as dashcams become more popular (y) But with the USB ports they have now not powering cams well, I'd not want that same crap elsewhere- they need to get those USB ports out of the dark ages before adding more ;) It's not that tough installing an aftermarket cam now so I don't see a great need for this and as Lacibaci pointed out, the potential for misuse is high enough to keep car makers from venturing into the added liability :whistle:

Phil

Back