File recovery/power loss

Stack Amdahl

Reaction score
This probably applies to most any dashcam, but in my specific case the model is this one from DX:

2.5in TFT LCD CMOS 1.3M Pixel Vehicle Mount Video Recorder/Camcorder w/ Night Vision/HDMI/SD/MMC Slot

In more than one case the battery has been ejected during recording, simultaneous with power loss from the power adapter. The last file being written is nowhere to be found on the card when looking at it strictly from a Windows directory listing point of view, but I know the data was being written at the time and exists somewhere on the card.

I suspect that because the file was never "closed" that it doesn't show up in the listing. Further, even if the file could be found, the AVI header was probably never written, so it may appear to be a corrupt file to any video player, and depending on the amount of RAM write cache, the very last instant might not have made it to the flash card.

Are there any forensic tools specific to this case for recovering these files, even if the end result is a corrupted file?

I've tried the usual file recovery tools like Recuva, GetDataBack, etc, none of which could see anything other than the previously deleted files from the cyclic recording.

Any ideas?

Stack Amdahl said:
This probably applies to most any dashcam, but in my specific case the model is this one from DX:

2.5in TFT LCD CMOS 1.3M Pixel Vehicle Mount Video Recorder/Camcorder w/ Night Vision/HDMI/SD/MMC Slot

In more than one case the battery has been ejected during recording, simultaneous with power loss from the power adapter. The last file being written is nowhere to be found on the card when looking at it strictly from a Windows directory listing point of view, but I know the data was being written at the time and exists somewhere on the card.

I suspect that because the file was never "closed" that it doesn't show up in the listing. Further, even if the file could be found, the AVI header was probably never written, so it may appear to be a corrupt file to any video player, and depending on the amount of RAM write cache, the very last instant might not have made it to the flash card.

Are there any forensic tools specific to this case for recovering these files, even if the end result is a corrupted file?

I've tried the usual file recovery tools like Recuva, GetDataBack, etc, none of which could see anything other than the previously deleted files from the cyclic recording.

Any ideas?

You need to search where you might find more experienced users to this specific problem.

http://www.cardrecovery.com/?rid=google&kid=cr0103

Try some video forums for example.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stack Amdahl said:

Any ideas?

Read the thread "GPS interference" Obviously these cameras and accessories are not of the highest quality For $60 I guess you get what you pay for

Back