atomicorion

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Plus
G'day all :)
I've finally received my Mobius today !:D
Right off the bat as I plug my Mobius in to my pc,I encounter a problem(which I solved myself hehe) but wanted to share this info for other new Mobius users.
When I initially plugged it in to see if I can access the GUI.
The Mobius was recognized,but found all the settings tabs were greyed out.:confused:
At first,I thought it was a bad connection,so tried 2 more times with the same result.:confused:
Puzzled by this,I tried using a different usb cable to no avail.:confused:
The camera was turning on/off with no probs.
Then,I thought maybe it was a program in my system conflicting with the usb connection.
And I was right.
A program called XFastUSB that came with the motherboards' software which I think captures and boosts the usb speed of the hardware that's connected.
Once I quit that app,everything worked normally.

I have a noobie question.
Do I need to update to the new firmware,and if so,are there any advantages/disadvantages?

Do I need to update to the new firmware,and if so,are there any advantages/disadvantages?

If you currently have v1.13 & no sd card compatibility problems, then I suggest you do not update to v1.17, as you may experience daylight overexposure issues.

V1.18 is coming soon enough and will be your next upgrade. Firmware upgrades are a regular thing with this camera. V1.17 was BETA so mainly meant for those with card problems.

When you get it installed, post some pics of your camera in your tight wheelbase Ferrari. ;)

If you received yours today it may well have come reinstalled with v1.17 like mine. Mine seems to be running ok though so not to bothered :)

Thanks for the replies guys :)
If you currently have v1.13 & no sd card compatibility problems, then I suggest you do not update to v1.17, as you may experience daylight overexposure issues.
I bought 2 SD cards,a 8GB for FW installs(as I read in other posts users were having probs with bigger sized cards when installing FW?) and a 64GB for recording and have no problems with both.
Well,as the saying goes "if it ain't broke". lol

V1.18 is coming soon enough and will be your next upgrade. Firmware upgrades are a regular thing with this camera. V1.17 was BETA so mainly meant for those with card problems.
So,say I update the V1.18 if and when it's released,I can revert back to an earlier version if problems arise?
When you get it installed, post some pics of your camera in your tight wheelbase Ferrari. ;)
Yeah,since I got the package yesterday haven't had time to play around(or even opened it) with it yet,but once I do i'll post a few pics hehe.

If you received yours today it may well have come reinstalled with v1.17 like mine. Mine seems to be running ok though so not to bothered :)
Hmm,that's weird as mine came with the V1.13 FW.:confused:

Oh,I almost forgot to ask..
Is it normal for the camera unit to get hot while charging?
I mean the heatsink is hot to the touch when charging with an AC adaptor.
And I also notice it does not get as hot when charging via the pc.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys :)

I bought 2 SD cards,a 8GB for FW installs(as I read in other posts users were having probs with bigger sized cards when installing FW?) and a 64GB for recording and have no problems with both.
Well,as the saying goes "if it ain't broke". lol

So,say I update the V1.18 if and when it's released,I can revert back to an earlier version if problems arise?

Yeah,since I got the package yesterday haven't had time to play around(or even opened it) with it yet,but once I do i'll post a few pics hehe.

Hmm,that's weird as mine came with the V1.13 FW.:confused:

Oh,I almost forgot to ask..
Is it normal for the camera unit to get hot while charging?
I mean the heatsink is hot to the touch when charging with an AC adaptor.
And I also notice it does not get as hot when charging via the pc.
Yes you can revert back to any version. Stick with v1.13 for now and when the new version comes out, you can check here first to see if anyone had problems before upgrading. To be honest, v1.17 was not a normal firmware upgrade, rather a BETA to solve card compatibility problems some were having. Normally everyone upgrades without problems.

The heat sinks getting hot aren't normal unless it started to record while being charged. Do you recall if the red light on the back or the amber light on top were blinking (indicating it was recording)? If you used another cable, other than data USB it came with (for example an AC adapter) to charge it and it was set to record on power connect, this would explain it. Normally if the only thing you want to do is charge the battery, connect it and hit the power button to turn it off. The amber stand by light should go to green (charging).

Yes you can revert back to any version.
That's good to know:).
The heat sinks getting hot aren't normal unless it started to record while being charged. Do you recall if the red light on the back or the amber light on top were blinking (indicating it was recording)? If you used another cable, other than data USB it came with (for example an AC adapter) to charge it and it was set to record on power connect, this would explain it. Normally if the only thing you want to do is charge the battery, connect it and hit the power button to turn it off. The amber stand by light should go to green (charging).
I charged it for about an hour earlier today and don't recollect it being recording at the same time otherwise there would've been an hour long black(had the cap on) video file on the SD card.
Yeah,I used an AC to USB adaptor for quicker charging and noticed it getting hot whereas if charged via pc,the heatsink would have a warm-ish feel.
Does the AC adaptors' output need to be a certain voltage?
If I remember,mine was a 5.2V output.
Apologies for the questions as i've never used these cameras before.

That's good to know:).

I charged it for about an hour earlier today and don't recollect it being recording at the same time otherwise there would've been an hour long black(had the cap on) video file on the SD card.
Yeah,I used an AC to USB adaptor for quicker charging and noticed it getting hot whereas if charged via pc,the heatsink would have a warm-ish feel.
Does the AC adaptors' output need to be a certain voltage?
If I remember,mine was a 5.2V output.
Apologies for the questions as i've never used these cameras before.
Nah questions are no problem. I have never had my heat sinks get warm while charging. What settings are you using?

As far as voltage, it should be at least 5V and at least 1A. A good start would be the support thread, it was written by Tom Frank, Isoprop and Therau200, who all work on these cameras.

I have never had my heat sinks get warm while charging. What settings are you using?
In Basic Settings;
Power On - Auto Record (Both)
Power On Delay (Fast)
Power Off Standby (Off)
Power-Off Disconnect (10 secs)
USB Data Port Charging (enable)

These settings can affect the charging process?
I don't know why but if I charge it using the AC adaptor,the heatsink gets pretty hot.
Hot enough that you can't rest your finger on it or get burnt.

Strange, when charging mine for the first time the heat sinks were cold

Back