Find out the tongue-plus

SteelFK1

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello,

I have been installing dashcams for years, always directly to the fuse box to keep the cigarette lighter socket free. So far, I had no issues with several BMW vehicles, but with the F48, I'm facing a problem.

The dashcam should only turn on when the engine is running or there's power and turn off when the engine is off or there's no power.

My problem is that the cigarette lighter socket seems to be continuously powered. I connected the dashcam directly and waited for 7 minutes to see if it would eventually turn off, but unfortunately, it didn't.

I also used a voltage tester to check which of the fuses would turn off after a few minutes, but it seemed like none of them did.

Can anyone help me with this? When does the car go into deep sleep mode? The G31 does it in 6 minutes, while the E91 and E92 went into sleep mode immediately.

I'm no expert on BMWs, but I seem to remember reading that you need to lock the car and leave it for 20 minutes, or something of the sort, unless that was another make. Have you tried locking the car, and not bringing the radio key anywhere near while you check if the dashcam is off?

I did the same as with my current G31, which switches off completely after 6 minutes, then ignition and everything is off.

With the F48 X1 I waited 7 minutes, power was still active.

20 minutes would be too much, I do not like this deep sleep mode anyway at all, load for the battery.

Back