FineVu CR500 CPL Lens [VIDEO]

Milamber

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Vantrue Nexus 4 Pro
Can anyone with a CPL Lens confirm that they too get dark edges from the lens filter like the below video uploaded:

Last edited by a moderator:
My blackbox is being exchanged at the minute but I should get a new unit soon, I will do some test videos for you once I get it back.

jamesbcd said:
My blackbox is being exchanged at the minute but I should get a new unit soon, I will do some test videos for you once I get it back.

Today I got my CR 500 and I have exact the same problem with the black edges :(
but I have it only on the rigth side

Nissanboard said:
Today I got my CR 500 and I have exact the same problem with the black edges :(
but I have it only on the rigth side

I think we can fix this!

I have a 7" LCD with video out/in so I can align my camera. I will play with the positioning of the lens and report back, if I manage to sort it I will take photos of the positioning of the CPL lens on the face of the CR500.

jokiin said:
Milamber said:
I have a 7" LCD with video out/in so I can align my camera.

I see you went with that, did it work out well for what you needed?

I should be picking it up later today. I am going to realign the mount too.

Got my replacement CR500 the other day. Just to confirm I have the black edges with the CPL filter, on all 4 corners.

jamesbcd said:
Got my replacement CR500 the other day. Just to confirm I have the black edges with the CPL filter, on all 4 corners.

Thanks for the heads up.

jamesbcd said:

I think that is due to the CPL itself. If you purchase a better quality filter that is thinner this won't happen.

Al Drake said:
jamesbcd said:

I think that is due to the CPL itself. If you purchase a better quality filter that is thinner this won't happen.

Huh?

Of course it's to do with the filter, read my comments... Where else would produce dark edges in the shape of the CPL lens, especially if they aren't there when the filter isn't installed...

The problem is the wide angle lens, nothing to do with the thickness of the glass.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Milamber said:
Al Drake said:
jamesbcd said:

Huh?

Of course it's to do with the filter, read my comments... Where else would produce dark edges in the shape of the CPL lens, especially if they aren't there when the filter isn't installed...

The problem is the wide angle lens, nothing to do with the thickness of the glass.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

It sure does have everything to do with the thickness of the glass. Better quality filters have thinner glass and is closer to the lens. I am addressing the QUALITY of the filter. You seem to want to group all the CPLs into one group. I read your post. You are the one that is not getting it.

Quick vid -

I don't think it's the thickness of the glass.

Just how thick the magnetic strip is on the filter itself.

Here's a pic of magnetic FineVu filter on the left and a threaded Polaroid one on the right. Notice how wide the magnetic strip is around the FineVu filter.

DSCN0031.JPG

jamesbcd said:
Quick vid -

I don't think it's the thickness of the glass.

Just how thick the magnetic strip is on the filter itself.

Here's a pic of magnetic FineVu filter on the left and a threaded Polaroid one on the right. Notice how the finevu circumfrance is smaller.

The whole idea is to have the filter as close to the lens as possible. The cheaper filters don't achieve this as does the thinner one. Look, all you have to do is some research on the manufacture on the better CPL. It's just that simple. We can go around and around and get no where. I am trying to provide well known facts as they are applied to the age old art of photography and now to the new use of cameras in the dash cam realm.

Circumference or diameter has nothing to do with the issue. Different cameras use different size filters but may not put their filter where it belongs. Vignetting will appear when the filter is help further from the lens as can be seen when stacking them. Why do cameras that cost upwards of $10,000 have threads on their lenses? To add filters like the CPL which work believe it or not.

Polaroid does not make a quality CPL.

I'm not disputing that thinner glass is better.

Edit: Just had a quick search, and thinner glass may solve the problem. Finding a magnetic one that will attach to the CR500 is another problem though, as it doesn't have the threaded lens. :(

jamesbcd said:
I'm not disputing that thinner glass is better.

Edit: Just had a quick search, and thinner glass may solve the problem. Finding a magnetic one that will attach to the CR500 is another problem though, as it doesn't have the threaded lens. :(
I had thought of that when considering that camera. Definitely a down side. I am still wondering why anyone would go to all that trouble to reinvent the wheel.

Wow! A lot of replacements being discussed here. I bought two of these w/ GPS and CPL filters 3 weeks ago ($850 US); already returning one for poor video quality.
The second is borderline!

Don't make the same mistake I did and buy from a distributor... buy from Amazon/Ebay, where you will not have such problems with returns... or more simply,
Stay Away from this camera! Not worth the $.

Milamber said:
Can anyone with a CPL Lens confirm that they too get dark edges from the lens filter like the below video uploaded:

You need a larger filter. What you see is vignetting. If your camera has a threaded lens you can screw in a step-up ring.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

I use this one and a high quality CPL. Not the one supplied with my Lukas LK-7900. My results are very satisfactory. Much of the reflection from the dash is illuminated and I am able to see inside other cars. Something that can't be done with no CPL.

Back