First proper outing with the camera and this happens...

wibbly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

And yes, I was able to freeze frame to get the van's registration plate.

4K, no HDR, CPL in use.

The two beeps were to get the video saved by pressing the button on the end of the camera. First to wake it up (screen was off), Second to lock the video.

Someone in a hurry.

This kind of driving you will often see on the O2 ring road around Aarhus town, and contenders are most often people that live in the ghettos situated in the same area.
A intersection on that road are even called the intersection of death, and will have around 3 - 4000 run a red light there every month.
They are now planning to put up a red light camera there, but this will at least take 6 months, and it will immediately get vandalized.

As there are a nice roof top right next to it, they should put a sniper up there to deal swift justice.

In the UK, you can choose to submit footage to the police and they then decide if they want to prosecute.

In the UK, you can choose to submit footage to the police and they then decide if they want to prosecute.
I wonder what the charges will be?

Might be difficult to come up with a fixed penalty charge, so maybe straight to the judge on "dangerous driving"... won't take the judge long to deal with it, probably quite harshly!

Sadly we do not have this option in this little backwards country, even if in just about any other scenario it is recommended for citizens to rat on each other, just like in the former East Germany

Driving without due care and attention I'd guess.
Did the rear camera capture the driver and show that the undertake was illegal? If so then they will probably issue a fixed penalty.

Let us know if you hear anything.

Yet another entitled prick who thinks he's Number 1. That van could so easily have spun out of control on that wet road.

What's the law in the UK regarding identifying a driver? Can they prosecute someone if they can't identify him? What if the registered owner/keeper was lending it out to someone?

What's the law in the UK regarding identifying a driver? Can they prosecute someone if they can't identify him? What if the registered owner/keeper was lending it out to someone?
The registered owner has to identify the person driving, otherwise they get the fine. And if the wrong person is identified then that counts as perverting the course of justice, which results in a prison sentence - often catches out both the politicians and the people who agree to take their fine for them!

That van could so easily have spun out of control on that wet road.
Seems to more often result in other vehicles spinning out of control as their terrified drivers swerve/brake to avoid a collision, even though there wasn't going to be one!

Did the rear camera capture the driver and show that the undertake was illegal? If so then they will probably issue a fixed penalty.

Let us know if you hear anything.
Not sure I should submit it, actually. I was stuck in the middle lane which is not ideal (even if I was slowly overtaking vehicles on my nearside). Not that it excuses what the van did, but I don't want to be reprimanded myself.

Not sure I should submit it, actually. I was stuck in the middle lane which is not ideal (even if I was slowly overtaking vehicles on my nearside). Not that it excuses what the van did, but I don't want to be reprimanded myself.
From the front footage, you are clearly following another vehicle in the centre lane, so while maybe you should have moved left, the police are not going to be interested, and in any case, the weather conditions give good reason to not move over quickly. The rear may show something else, I was wondering, and if you submitted 10 minutes of video before the event then that may show an issue with you hogging lanes, but you don't need to submit more than you want, as long as you are submitting complete original files, if they ask for more then you can refuse. The police do take action against video submitters, but only when it is clear that they were the ones causing the problems, in this case you were clearly driving normally, even if not perfectly, and the van was clearly driving dangerously, especially for the weather conditions. Many people do submit videos showing their own very bad driving, always worth getting another opinion before submitting!

I’ve submitted two clips to the dashcam portal and on both occasions I was informed “no further action”. So it makes me wonder if it needs to be a collision before they take it seriously. Or it’s a total waste of time and just let the police do all the work.

I’ve submitted two clips to the dashcam portal and on both occasions I was informed “no further action”. So it makes me wonder if it needs to be a collision before they take it seriously. Or it’s a total waste of time and just let the police do all the work.
Depends on which police authority you are in. Some like to do nothing, some like to create business for their local driver training centres, some like to give fixed penalty notices, and a few do a proper job and involve the courts when appropriate.

The main aim is to improve road safety, and help achieve the local safety targets, so it definitely does not need to involve a collision. There does need to be good evidence otherwise it is very hard for them to do anything, but some police authorities do very happily take action on images of people using using their phones while driving. They probably don't take action on driving mistakes, only deliberate offences. Quite likely they are seeing the video differently to how you see it.

Can you post your videos? Obviously with no action being declared, the police wont mind you posing them now.

I've submitted a handful of clips over the last 5 years. North Yorkshire seem to take action. Last month I got a "positive action" outcome for a van driver going through a red light, whilst using his phone. I had a similar result for a lady driving the wrong way down a slip road towards a dual carriageway. I'm still waiting on a reply for a sports car driver doing an estimated (by me) 130mph in a 50mph roadworks zone.

I'm still waiting on a reply for a sports car driver doing an estimated (by me) 130mph in a 50mph roadworks zone.
What sort of sports car does 130? Anything with a soft top is not going to be very pleasant at those speeds...

Be interesting to hear the result of that one, I suspect they would need to take it to court, which they might be a bit reluctant to do...

I'm still waiting on a reply for a sports car driver doing an estimated (by me) 130mph in a 50mph roadworks zone.
I guess it would depend if the speed could actually be measured via the video - e.g. time taken to travel between two points a known distance apart. Or some other way the police could reliably estimate the speed from the video (enough to be successful in the prosecution)

I guess it would depend if the speed could actually be measured via the video - e.g. time taken to travel between two points a known distance apart. Or some other way the police could reliably estimate the speed from the video (enough to be successful in the prosecution)
I've counted the number of frames taken for me to travel between cat's eyes at regular spacing, averaged out over 10 intervals, driving on a straight road at constant speed. Then I did the same for the car passing me, and multiplied the ratio by the GPS logged speed on my A139 and A139 Pro. It won't be exact, but the police could get a better estimate if they want to. I've just re-done the calculation and got 128mph, which is way more than the temporary posted limit of 50mph even accounting for any inaccuracy.

I've counted the number of frames taken for me to travel between cat's eyes at regular spacing, averaged out over 10 intervals, driving on a straight road at constant speed. Then I did the same for the car passing me, and multiplied the ratio by the GPS logged speed on my A139 and A139 Pro. It won't be exact, but the police could get a better estimate if they want to. I've just re-done the calculation and got 128mph, which is way more than the temporary posted limit of 50mph even accounting for any inaccuracy.
Ah cat's eyes. I wonder if they're always placed at regular distances? If so the police could do the calculation not requiring/assuming anything on your side (frame rate etc) - just that that the video hasn't been slowed down or speeded up (y)

Ah cat's eyes. I wonder if they're always placed at regular distances? If so the police could do the calculation not requiring/assuming anything on your side (frame rate etc) - just that that the video hasn't been slowed down or speeded up (y)
Yes, there is a standard spacing, and the local police force just need to forward the video to the UK dashcam forensics unit to get an official estimate that will stand up in court. They will almost certainly charge the driver with dangerous driving at a court appearance, if they decide to take action, and presumably the judge will remove his license.

Back