For A118 - DIY magnet mount for rear window / Mazda 3 Hatchback

JimSar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DDpai 2P, Blueskysea B1W, Coxpal A9D, Viofo A129 Pro Duo
Vehicle: 2014 Mazda 3i Grand Touring Hatchback

The magnet is a powerful 2 inches by 1/2 inch neodymium (I think) which I've had for over 5 years. I have a healthy respect for this magnet, as it has injured my finger when I first got it. I accidentally held it too close to a steel tool cabinet, and it slammed onto the cabinet with skin of my finger in between, causing hematoma. One reason I'm using a paper tape measure for this photo shoot:
157259595.jpg

I'm using materials that I already have, this is the plastic slide mount that came with the A118. Affixed to it are pieces from a 1" steel bar, using 3M VHB tape.
157259603.jpg

157259621.jpg

157259622.jpg

The magnet is under the roof liner, attached to the roof itself. The magnetic field is strong enough to steadily hold the camera in place.
157259636.jpg

The back window is tinted, so the camera is hardly visible to the casual observer, or if seen, may not register as such because dash cams, especially rear pointed ones, aren't that common here yet. By the way, the boxes in front of the car are bee hives.
157259624.jpg

Raw footage of test drive around the hood:
https://mega.co.nz/#!XldxFAIa!CiZstKFQVEgUUUutUC-f49syeUv6-HfJM35GWWNf9Y8

I have a healthy respect for this magnet, as it has injured my finger when I first got it. I accidentally held it too close to a steel tool cabinet, and it slammed onto the cabinet with skin of my finger in between, causing hematoma. /QUOTE]
Gotta watch those powerfully magnets, they bite ;)

that's a ripper cool idea. trying to work out for ages how I am going to mount a box back there as I don't wanna stuff up the liner, magnet will be the go i think.

Looking good - how's the night footage though?

My rear privacy glass was too dark so you just got black videos. It's ok up front though

Looking good - how's the night footage though?

My rear privacy glass was too dark so you just got black videos. It's ok up front though

reverend - night video isn't bad at all. I mean, about as good as what you see with the naked eye. You see the outline of cars, headlamps on, doing what they do around you. Will still be of value in case of accident or incident. Will post night video after my next night time trip.

bump - did you ever get some night video through the privacy glass?
Sorry, not right now, forgot to save the file. I'm on "parking mode" and files get overlaid every few days or so. Next chance I get I'll post here, I promise.

OP aren't you slightly concerned that the magnet may have some form of negative effect on the cameras internal components and possibly effect/destroy the camera by
using a magnet? It' a great idea, don't get me wrong but I am quite hesitant to create something similar.

That would make sense if it used magnetic media such as an old spinning hard drive or floppy disk or even tape. But it doesn't. Many smart phones and laptops have magnetic switches, cases, lids, and even the Mac book mag lock power connector. Those are pretty strong magnets too.

OP aren't you slightly concerned that the magnet may have some form of negative effect on the cameras internal components and possibly effect/destroy the camera by
using a magnet? It' a great idea, don't get me wrong but I am quite hesitant to create something similar.
I actually asked the same question (DIY section) before I did this. Gibson99's response is right on. To date, no problem at all with the dashcam's functionality or picture quality.

Interesting. Okay I just didn't want anyone to slowly damage their dash cam with the magnet, but if you guys say that no problem will result, then it's definitely worth a try.

Vehicle: 2014 Mazda 3i Grand Touring Hatchback

The magnet is a powerful 2 inches by 1/2 inch neodymium (I think) which I've had for over 5 years. I have a healthy respect for this magnet, as it has injured my finger when I first got it. I accidentally held it too close to a steel tool cabinet, and it slammed onto the cabinet with skin of my finger in between, causing hematoma. One reason I'm using a paper tape measure for this photo shoot:
157259595.jpg

I'm using materials that I already have, this is the plastic slide mount that came with the A118. Affixed to it are pieces from a 1" steel bar, using 3M VHB tape.
157259603.jpg

157259621.jpg

157259622.jpg

The magnet is under the roof liner, attached to the roof itself. The magnetic field is strong enough to steadily hold the camera in place.
157259636.jpg

The back window is tinted, so the camera is hardly visible to the casual observer, or if seen, may not register as such because dash cams, especially rear pointed ones, aren't that common here yet. By the way, the boxes in front of the car are bee hives.
157259624.jpg

Raw footage of test drive around the hood:
https://mega.co.nz/#!XldxFAIa!CiZstKFQVEgUUUutUC-f49syeUv6-HfJM35GWWNf9Y8
I just like to purchase this magnet to mount my dash cam. Please let me know the brand name and how I can find on amazon or ebay. Thanks.

A good site in my experience: https://www.first4magnets.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIouuU48uq3QIVAgiRCh3OvATtEAAYASAAEgLuAvD_BwE

You can not only buy magnets here, but they also sell them by the pull force required to remove them. It prevents you from getting something too strong or too weak.

Also, as the OP found, very strong magnets can be dangerous. Some have the power to crush hands / fingers or even pull straight through your hand.

I would suggest for a dashcam you're probably looking for something that has a strength of the weight of your dashcam plus x pounds where x pounds is the amount of pull force required to remove it. (The weight of the dashcam is required because remember it's already exerting that force before you start). I'm reluctant to state a figure without trials as too strong may remove the mount or damage the camera with the force of the pull and too weak may cause it to fall off over bumps etc. Some experimentation might be required.

I bought some of these flat thin magnets to fasten an MDF cover panel over some pipe boxing I made for my kitchen. Worked well for me.

Note: Magnets can also be brittle depending on the type - another reason not to get something that's so strong it snaps together as it can shatter the magnet.

Ok, thank you for feedbacks. My camera unit is Rexing - V1P Dual Dash Camera.

I know this topic is nearly 9 years old and the last reply nearly 5 years old, but I was wondering what effect, if any, the magnets have on radio reception. On our car the shark antenna is directly above where the magnets would be placed. It's only an AM/FM radio so no GPS or SiriusXM etc. If anyone could chime in I'd like to know because this wouod be a great way to use my A199 as a rear camera.

Back