For the old PC geeks out there

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
I am cleaning up in old hardware, and took my old backup computer apart as i now have a laptop.
This is my old dual core setup, a machine that have ensured that many a gamer around the world have been leaving his PC with tears in his eyes, well at least if he played the game called Soldier of fortune.

The CPU, well a Cheap way to get a snappy dual core ( 2500 MHZ back then ) was to get a AMD Opteron CPU and overclock the hell out of it.
The one i have model 170 as i recall was 1800 MHZ from the factory, but with a good heat pipe cooler it would and did run 2500 MHZ all day, i can not recall what the cooler was for brand / model name but its the one in the picture.
Also back then, well if you wanted a low noise computer, you put Scythe S-flex fans it it, mine had 4 of them, in the Gigabyte ALU case.
The fans was controlled by a LIS 2 controller as i recall Aqua computer made it, i also had a 4 channel manual fan controller, though i used it as a LED light dimmer.

BTW notice the on motherboard SLI switch, that soon went on the graphics cards them self, but on the Abit AN 8-SLI it was on the motherboard ( a motherboard i won from Abit in a competition online )
Abit no longer exist, but for a short while they made some of the best motherboards

IMG_20230910_170337.jpg

All this goodness was of course powered by a Be quiet PSU ( only partial modular ), as i recall they was pretty new on the market back then.

IMG_20230910_170120.jpg

Close up of the power house CPU and RAM
Just 1 GB of it at this time, that is 1:48 of my current computer, should be 1:64 but i had a memory stick die and have not bothered to replace it so just 48GB in my current PC

Needless to say the CPU and RAM, they go strait into my stash of old processors and RAM, i just can not get myself to throw these out.

IMG_20230910_170323.jpg

Going into the trash with the Abit motherboard are 2 other MBs, both was nice boards in their day, they are Asus maximus formula and Maximus formula 2, as i recall they powered intel based systems.

Current PC, in a case i modified some 15 years ago, well lets just say when i made the computer, with other hardware of course.
Well the sight of its inside today would have given me a aneurisme.
Old me was allergic towards hoses and cables.

When i put in the new GFX card a few days ago, i had to remove 2/3 of my altrations on the inside to make room for the damn thing, so a lot of things suddenly became visible.
And i was not able to install the provided GFX card support bracket as the screws are not the same as in my case, and i do not have any that is long enough to be used instead.
So i just propped the GFX card up on top of my pump / reservoir combo, which is fine CUZ its not like i will move the computer around.

IMG_20230910_194429.jpg

Back