Frame rates at various resolutions & sample videos at those resolutions?

tilt

Reaction score
Country
India
OK, my last post/question was posted without my doing my own research beforehand. However, this time I did do a diligent search and was unable to find anything, hence asking here.

1. I could not find any info on the frame rates at various resolutions. The only info (and sample videos) I could find were at 1440p/30fps. Where can I find out the frame-rates at the other resolutions; and maybe watch sample videos at each of those resolutions?

2. On most of the videos on YouTube by various owners and reviewers I noticed that the video was not smooth - I could see a very mild jerkiness. With my layman's knowledge I am guessing this could be related to frame-rates - hence my first question above. That said, i did find one video at 1440p/30fps that was smooth and had no jerk at all. So, the question is, if most of the videos are at 1440/30fps (I presume), why were they jerky and this lone video smooth?

This (
) is the smooth video.

Thanks and cheers

YouTube re-encodes the video so never a great source if you want to look at image quality, you need the original files

Have you checked the manufacturers website, resolution and frame rate is something that is usually listed in the specifications or the user manual

YouTube re-encodes the video so never a great source if you want to look at image quality, you need the original files

Have you checked the manufacturers website, resolution and frame rate is something that is usually listed in the specifications or the user manual

Thank you for the prompt response. Yes I checked the manufacturer's website and the product manual. The info is not there. Also, the manual is very sparse.

Re. YouTube's re-encoding, the doubt I have is that all other videos seem uniformly jerky except for the one video I attached in my post. That too is YouTube, and I was curious as to how that one video escaped, considering all others did not.

Cheers

YouTube is not consistent with this. Normally a posted vid will be in low-res for awhile, then as (and if) the number of views warrant, they will increase the resolution over time. But it still will never equal the original vid file, and only in viewing that original file can anyone be certain whether an image problem is from YouTube or is because of the cam itself. You can't give a good opinion or offer diagnostic help without seeing that original file, so post it on a media-sharing site like mega.nz, wetransfer, Google Drive or similar. Be sure permissions allow anyone to view it, then post the link to it here.

Maybe then we can help- we're willing to try if you are!

Phil

YouTube is not consistent with this. Normally a posted vid will be in low-res for awhile, then as (and if) the number of views warrant, they will increase the resolution over time. But it still will never equal the original vid file, and only in viewing that original file can anyone be certain whether an image problem is from YouTube or is because of the cam itself. You can't give a good opinion or offer diagnostic help without seeing that original file, so post it on a media-sharing site like mega.nz, wetransfer, Google Drive or similar. Be sure permissions allow anyone to view it, then post the link to it here.

Maybe then we can help- we're willing to try if you are!

Phil

Thank you. Unfortunately I cannot see or post the raw footage because I do not own the camera yet I was merely doing my research online about this camera to see if this were the camera for me, that's all. I am, however, grateful for the inputs you and others here have given me; thank you.

Cheers

Edit: I managed to find a local reseller here in India who did have some articles/websites that I could not find on my searches. These give details of the frame-rates and other detials, and there are two sites from 70mai themselves that I have linked to here. Mybe these might help other current and prospective owners.

https://the-gadgeteer.com/2019/06/05/70mai-dash-cam-pro-review/ Mentions frame-rates and file sizes.
https://help.70mai.asia/278.html General help
https://na-bbs.70mai.com.cn/ Another community, specific to 70mai.

Cheers

Last edited:
I am a newbie to this but could it be the computer that is processing these files is "weak"? I know I got choppiness when I did that. I attributed it to being cheap with the memory when I bought my last laptop; they don't last too long for me.

I am a newbie to this but could it be the computer that is processing these files is "weak"? I know I got choppiness when I did that. I attributed it to being cheap with the memory when I bought my last laptop; they don't last too long for me.

I do not think so. I believe Jokiin and Sawmaster have it right in that it is the way YouTube encodes videos.

I do not think your argument is necessarily correct because I have oodles of good RAM and a pretty powerful computer.

Cheers

70mai Pro has PAL/NTSC setting, and both are 30fps on output.
However, when set to PAL, it is effectively 25 fps with duplicate frames inserted every 6 frames.

Therefore, it looks jerky.

Sample movie
PAL:
NTSC:

Aiiiiiii duplicate frames are no good. :cautious:

70mai Pro has PAL/NTSC setting, and both are 30fps on output.
However, when set to PAL, it is effectively 25 fps with duplicate frames inserted every 6 frames.

Therefore, it looks jerky.

Sample movie
PAL:
NTSC:

Yessssss, that's what I have been seeing. I did not know the reason for it, I thought I was imagining the whole thing since I could not explain it properly. Thank you for explaining this. I learnt something today.

So, Is there a way to select NTSC or PAL in the camera settings? I do not have the camera, so I cannot search for this. And whatever documentation I found did not mention this.

Cheers

Yessssss, that's what I have been seeing. I did not know the reason for it, I thought I was imagining the whole thing since I could not explain it properly. Thank you for explaining this. I learnt something today.

So, Is there a way to select NTSC or PAL in the camera settings? I do not have the camera, so I cannot search for this. And whatever documentation I found did not mention this.

Cheers
is the mains power in your country 50Hz or 60Hz?

is the mains power in your country 50Hz or 60Hz?

50. Would that make a difference in the Youtube videos of people who live in countries with 60?

Also, I currently use the G1WH, and when I view those videos at home from the memory card or after transferring to my computer, I do not see this jerkiness happening. This is limited to YouTube, and that too, not my videos, hence my original question.

Cheers

Back