Fresh Meat

MildMethod

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
SG9665GC-V2
Hi all, Im pretty fresh, so I thought this was a good place to get the low down on dashcams and action cams. Looking to buy a dashcam in about a week.

I live in the most southern depths of Australia on a little island state called Tasmania which has a climate with distinct seasons, so a dashcam that can withstand both hot and cold temperatures is a must.

I have a lot of experience with digital SLR cameras, post processing images and videos ( https://www.instagram.com/mike.bk/ ), but pretty much no experience with dashcams.

Looking forward to learning more!

Yeah , probably said a 1000 times , if you want a decent cam you sort of got to spend $50USD as a starting point ....
What is the cam supposed to do ?

Work car , daily driver , or maybe you only drive to Church on Sunday ?
Some battery Cams need to be driven often or the battery ( internal ) goes flat causing all sorts of problems ...
If you dont drive often then possibly a Cam with a capacitor ( the capacitor provides just enough power to save the last file recorded on shut down )
This way ( Capacitor ) you avoid battery problems .. Capacitor cams are also a little more weather tolerant ..

A lot of folks like the G1Wc , but they are hit or miss .. And require educated buying or you may end up with a rubbish cam ..
I also find the G1Wc a little on the low quality side myself ( I own and use one out my back window )
The minimum I would recommend is the A118c , decent quality , a decent price for what you get , and mine has been trouble free since purchase ( Yes I have one )
If you want you can add a GPS receiver at a latter date for GPS data logging ..

Just depends !
There are a lot of budget cams on Ebay , GB and such , but the video quality can vary greatly from terrible to very average ...
Just depends .. A lot of people seem to be happy with poor to average video quality , and as long as the cam works and shows who may or may not be at fault ( Which is what counts ) reliably ..
Well , do you need to count the fleas on a dogs back ?

I wasn't expecting such a detailed reply, thanks!

I will be using it in my daily driver, to and from work (50km round trip) 5 days a week.
Initially I will be using it just as a matter of interest, but I can see how it could be a worthy investment in the long term.
I assume it also brings down insurance premiums too?

I wasn't aware of those pros and cons concerning battery vs capacitor, thanks.

I was recommended the Mini 0826 and Blackvue DR650GW-2CH, but with some research I have narrowed my preference down to the SG9665GC V2 and Joovuu X cam (that's roughly my budget).

Last edited:
Detailed ? ( hmmm , I thought I was skimming )
Sounds like you have done your homework , and either cam should serve you well ..

Detailed ? ( hmmm , I thought I was skimming )
Sounds like you have done your homework , and either cam should serve you well ..

Perhaps "lengthy" is a better word to use.
About a week of research, so Im sure I still have much to learn.

Welcome to the forum M8

Well I couldn't wait a week and have ordered an SG9665GC-V2.
Should arrive early next week.

Back