"Frgmt err need format" message

dailydriver

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I just received my new SplashEtech Mini 0805. I used it successfully for a day. The next day, it suddenly stopped recording. The error message I get is "Frgmt err need format". The only way for me to get the cam to record again is to delete all the unprotected files. I have 2-3 files locked for saving on the memory card. I don't think the card is full, but even if it is, isn't it supposed to overwrite the oldest unprotected files? Anyways, it would work fine for another day or so before displaying the same error again.

My FW is 20150323 V1.0. I'm using a Sandisk Class 10 32GB card. I formatted it in the cam when I first inserted it in. I've set the files for 5-min recordings. I've also tried 3-min recordings after the first time I received the error. Did I miss the setting to overwrite old files? Anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this error?

Thanks!
Tom

I've put the card into my laptop and desktop and both were able to read and access the files. Is there a utility to check the health of the card?

I suggest you format the card on your computer before you test it. That way you will do a full test, but also I'm not convinced that the mini cameras always format 32GB cards correctly.

I put a high chance on the card failing though...

When I did the first format in the mini, it was done in a split second. I was expecting for it to take a few seconds at least... So, I'm not convinced (now that you mentioned it) that it was properly formatted in the mini. If I reformat it in my computer, should I format it as FAT32?

If I reformat it in my computer, should I format it as FAT32?
Yes, FAT32 is the default for 32GB cards, exFAT for anything larger. The mini cameras used to need FAT32 whatever the size but I suspect you are OK with exFAT for 64GB.

Last night, I ran h2testw util and it came back without errors and with reading speed of 11MB/s and writing speed of 12MB/s. It's a class 10, but I'm not familiar if that is the correct speed or not.

Anyways, I emailed SplashEtech support and they got back to me. They suggested doing a reset of the cam by holding down the power button for 20 seconds. Then apply their latest 20150423 v1.0 firmware that they also sent. Finally, they suggested using a Class 6 TF card since it's more stable.

I've done all that. So we'll see how it goes. I've also ordered a Samsung 32GB Class 10 card just in case it's this SanDisk card that's the issue. They said to try these steps out and if it still doesn't fix the problem, they can do an exchange. So far, I'm satisfied with the customer support they're providing.

Just to follow up on this. Since the last time I posted, I've not seen the error again. I'm still using the SanDisk card. I didn't use the Samsung card yet. I don't really know if the fix was in a) doing a format of the MicroSD card in my computer; b) upgrading the firmware; or c) luck...

The format will have fixed it, question is, why did it need formatting?

Most likely you had taken the card out of the camera while it was being written to, always stop it recording before removing the card.

Hi guys,
I have this kind of issue every 4/5 days...
Firmware upgraded... SD card changed and formatted inside my 0806 and through PC but the issue is still present.

I have a Samsung 32GB and a Sandisk 32GB.. both class 10.

Any idea?

Just received my 0805 and getting ready to go out and buy the SDHC card. The instructions that came with my cam specifically say to use Class 6 and NOT Class 10 because it may be too fast. I purchased "Kingmak" on Amazon from the seller Jeemak US. I have GPS but NO internal memory. Exact wording from the manual is

(Class6 is perfect. Class 10 may cause some problem because the speed of card is too fast, it is better not use Class 10 card)

Back