from 139pro to 229 pro worth?

SteelFK1

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Is it worth upgrading from the Viofo A139 Pro to the A229 Pro? Why is the A229 Pro almost $100 more expensive when purchased from the Viofo website?

Is it worth upgrading from the Viofo A139 Pro to the A229 Pro? Why is the A229 Pro almost $100 more expensive when purchased from the Viofo website?
You get 2K rear instead of only FHD - twice the resolution.
You get HDR on the rear and interior, a definite improvement.
You get voice control.
If using multiple channels, you get a significant bitrate increase all round. The A139 Pro in 3 channel configuration is a bit low on bitrate, especially on the front.

You loose the external microphone socket.
The front image quality is about the same, unless using 3 channels.

If you want an upgrade, maybe wait for the next model, it won't be 8K front, but it will be much more of an upgrade, and not too long to wait.

Thank you very much, I would actually want to switch straight away, just because of HDR and the picture quality.

I use the 3CH.

Is there an estimate of when a newer, more useful version will be released?

Is there an estimate of when a newer, more useful version will be released?
When it’s ready!

I’ll be surprised if it is not this year, probably by Black Friday.

The specifications have not been released yet, so I can’t tell you if it’s what you want. It does have new features, but if you are only wanting HDR added to rear and interior, and a bit more bitrate on the front, then maybe go for the A229 Pro. Don’t expect a huge improvement on the front, it is the same sensor, has the same HDR, and in 3ch mode it also reduces front bitrate, not as much, but it is reduced a bit. The new camera is not an upgrade, it will be more expensive due to more features, and may be missing something you want.

Okay, I understand, I'll leave it for now and then take a look at the new dashcam.

Yes, it's a pity that the quality is worse with 3CH, in 2CH the quality is already very good, but 3CH is a must-have for me today.

Thank you very much.

One option would be to put something like a VIOFO VS1 or Mini 2 in the rear and use your A139 Pro in 2 ch mode. I use mine in 1ch, that gives fantastic image quality. That does give a significant upgrade, with 2K HDR in the rear, at less cost than a full upgrade, but with the inconveniences of two cameras, and extra redundancy.

That makes sense, not bad at all. But I have installed the Power Core power bank, can I get 2 dashcams installed? Do you know that?

But I have installed the Power Core power bank, can I get 2 dashcams installed? Do you know that?
I'm sure it can power two cameras, not sure how you sort the cabling, but I guess you can just connect both to the power bank output in the same way that you connected the one.

The two dashcams will use a bit more power than a single 3 channel dashcam will, so the battery will empty a little faster. The power consumption figures will be on this forum somewhere, but I guess the VS1 will use about twice the power of the A139 rear, the A139 rear uses about a quarter of the power of the 3ch A139 Pro.

I have both the 229 Pro and the 119 mini 2 and I find the mini 2 image quality to be on equal or some what better using 1 channel over the 229 pro. Go figure.

I also have a Mini 2 and an A229 Pro and I like the quality of the A229 Pro better.
I even bought another A229 Pro for another car and gave the Mini 2 to my son. ;)

Back