Fuse tap for 2022 Ford Fiesta UK.

CliveR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm a dashcam newbie but capable with car electrics. Just want some advice on the best fuses to tap to feed my shiny new Viofo A229 cam.
It's a new Ford Fiesta 2022 UK model.
I just want to be sure I'm trying into circuits that are man enough to take the extra current and are switched correctly (it's keyless ignition).
I attach a picture of the fuse board and a copy of which fuses do what.
The problem is some of the fuse are double so I have to chose ones that are single fuses.
Any advice or others experiences greatly appreciated.
Item Fuse Rating Protected Component
1 5 A Restraints control module.
2 5 A In-vehicle temperature and humidity sensor.
3 10 A Parking assist control module.
4 10 A Ignition switch. Push button ignition switch.
5 20 A Lock. Unlock.
6 10 A Moonroof.
7 30 A Right-hand mirror switch. Right-hand front power windows.
8 Not used.
9 5 A Passenger airbag deactivation indicator. Auto-dimming interior mirror.
10 10 A Data link connector.
11 5 A Telematics modem.
12 5 A Central security module.
13 15 A Child safety locks. Fuel filler door.
14 30 A Left-hand mirror switch. Left-hand front power windows.
15 15 A Not used. Heated steering wheel. Headlamp control module.
16 Not used.
17 15 A Voice control. Information and entertainment display. Compact disc player.
18 Not used.
19 7.5 A Battery back-up sounder.
20 10 A Anti-theft alarm horn.
21 7.5 A Climate control.
22 7.5 A Steering wheel module. Instrument cluster. Data link connector.
23 20 A Audio unit.
24 Not used.
25 Not used.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2021-12-03-at-12.09.40-PM.png
    Screen-Shot-2021-12-03-at-12.09.40-PM.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Your main problem is finding a circuit that isn't temporarily dead while the starter motor is cranked.

This is especially important on stop/start vehicles or the dashcam shuts down at every start when the circuit briefly loses power.

Your main problem is finding a circuit that isn't temporarily dead while the starter motor is cranked.

This is especially important on stop/start vehicles or the dashcam shuts down at every start when the circuit briefly loses power.
So I am discovering. That's exactly my problem. It's keyless start and has engine cut out when stationary and clutch is lifted.
I can't get my head around which circuits are live when. Google isn't helping much either

You need a multimeter to do measurements. There is no other way.

You need a multimeter to do measurements. There is no other way.
Yes I have a multimeter. I just need multi arms and legs so I can check the fuses while having ignition off, ignition on, car started and car cut out active.
To be honest I was kind of hoping someone would chip in who has fitted a 3 wire hardwire to the fiesta and could ID the fuses I need.

It may be worth checking with Ford whether there are any fusebox sockets for accessories.

Honda for example have a dedicated socket for wiring accessories and the pins in there stay powered.

If not then in my experience the fuses that are only live under IGN pos 2 may be the ones to test first when you turn the key to crank.

It may be worth checking with Ford whether there are any fusebox sockets for accessories.

Honda for example have a dedicated socket for wiring accessories and the pins in there stay powered.

If not then in my experience the fuses that are only live under IGN pos 2 may be the ones to test first when you turn the key to crank.
I may well speak to ford about it.
I need one that is permanently live for parking mode, so an accessory socket would be good for that. but one needs to be live only when them ignition is on and stay live when the engine cuts when stationary etc.
I don't have a key to turn it's keyless start and has auto cut out when stationary so some fuses cut out when the engine stops.

Best of luck, it's a nightmare with modern cars.

I may take it in for a ford Anglia. I knew where I was with that
Those have been a bit expensive since Harry Potter! :unsure:

I would use a fuse tap in an empty slot. You just have to put the fuse you want to use for the dash cam in the slot that connects to the wire. If you didn't want to do the multimeter thing, then you could use trial and error to see if the empty slots are ignition switched or always hot. You might have to flip the fuse tap if you don't know which side of the fuse slot is the hot side.

I thought that was only the ones that could fly? :ROFLMAO:
No, the modern Fiestas can fly too, but you need to buy Ford's "DIY Rally Kit":

Ford-Fiesta-rally-kit.jpg

Back