FYI: Zendure battery packs on sale this month

Rykor

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hope this is ok to post! I was reading a few threads where people have mentioned this brand for power banks so I checked it out. Found that the often mentioned X6 pack is on sale for $50, down from $140.

Picked up 2 just in case.. will try one out when my A229 arrives.

I did just see that the X6 now says sold out ... hopefully my order does not get canceled. Maybe I got the last 2 :)

Coupon code sent to me after my order: NEWPALS for 10% off.

Guess now I just need to figure out how to hardwire the X6.. and if I should try to use any low voltage cutoff to prevent the car battery from being drained while charging the X6??

Maybe I'm in luck, and the new USB-C for the A229 can be used to charge the X6 with low voltage cutoff built in....

Hope this is ok to post! I was reading a few threads where people have mentioned this brand for power banks so I checked it out. Found that the often mentioned X6 pack is on sale for $50, down from $140.

Picked up 2 just in case.. will try one out when my A229 arrives.

I did just see that the X6 now says sold out ... hopefully my order does not get canceled. Maybe I got the last 2 :)

Coupon code sent to me after my order: NEWPALS for 10% off.

Guess now I just need to figure out how to hardwire the X6.. and if I should try to use any low voltage cutoff to prevent the car battery from being drained while charging the X6??
Do happen to have a link for that x6 battery?

X6 pack is on sale for $50, down from $140.
That is the price it should be, if it had any real competition!

Let us know how you get on with with it together with the A229 please...
Looks like they should work together well.

Do happen to have a link for that x6 battery?

Looks like they should work together well.

So it took a good 12 hours or so (I mean, whatever time it was that I plugged it in, went to bed, and woke up in the morning to a charged pack ;)) to fully charge it.. it arrived completely dead. I don't have anything installed yet but the first quick test I performed was to see if the Zendure would supply power without touching any kind of on/off power button (since there is a power button on the pack).

I'm optimistic that it is going to work as expected because I plugged in a USB-A/USB-C cord and powered on the A229 without pushing any buttons on the Zendure. That is exactly the functionality that is needed.

So it took a good 12 hours or so (I mean, whatever time it was that I plugged it in, went to bed, and woke up in the morning to a charged pack ;)) to fully charge it.. it arrived completely dead. I don't have anything installed yet but the first quick test I performed was to see if the Zendure would supply power without touching any kind of on/off power button (since there is a power button on the pack).

I'm optimistic that it is going to work as expected because I plugged in a USB-A/USB-C cord and powered on the A229 without pushing any buttons on the Zendure. That is exactly the functionality that is needed.
I wonder if this battery won’t catch fire sitting in a hot car? If temperatures are say, 80F and below the A229 would be ok. I already tried booking up my regular cell phone battery which worked well. I am concerned about higher temperatures for prolonged periods.

I wonder if this battery won’t catch fire sitting in a hot car? If temperatures are say, 80F and below the A229 would be ok. I already tried booking up my regular cell phone battery which worked well. I am concerned about higher temperatures for prolonged periods.
Generally these batteries are fine for discharge from around -30C to +80C, which should never be a problem if mounted low down and out of the sun, and for charging between 2C and 40C which is a problem.

Hopefully this one has a charge controller that prevents it charging outside that range, though most of the standard USB powerbanks don't seem to have any lower limit, which does make them dangerous for use in cars. For powerbanks that will charge below freezing point, if you want to charge them in car then I recommend connecting them via a thermostat that cuts off power below 2 degrees C.

You also want to mount it securely so that it never suffers any significant high G impacts.

Emailed Zendure about this to get a definitive answser about cold weather. The response was "X6 is safe to use in your car, but this item doesn't have a temperature control function"

So is the main potential issue with using this in cold weather charging it at cold temps? I would think that in those circumstances using a thermal cutoff of any kind would mean that the X6 would never get charged basically through all of winter. And an external thermostat would only register the ambient temperature, not the temperature of the batteries (car's heat causes thermostat to turn on power, but batteries are still frozen).

Would something like this TalentCell unit be a better option for year round use since it's a LiFePO4 battery like the Cellink Neo and others?

Emailed Zendure about this to get a definitive answser about cold weather. The response was "X6 is safe to use in your car, but this item doesn't have a temperature control function"
I wouldn't expect a configurable function that allows you to control the temperature.
I wouldn't expect it to be able to control its temperature.
I would expect it to stop charging below freezing.
I don't know what their statement means!

So is the main potential issue with using this in cold weather charging it at cold temps?
With modern lithium powerpacks, almost the only way to damage them, and potentially create a fire risk, is to charge them below freezing. Some have a low temperature cutoff which removes this risk completely, but not all do.
I would think that in those circumstances using a thermal cutoff of any kind would mean that the X6 would never get charged basically through all of winter.
Depends on where you keep your vehicle! In the UK, the interior of most vehicles almost never reaches freezing point. In some colder places the same is true because vehicles are kept in heated, or at least insulated garages.

And an external thermostat would only register the ambient temperature, not the temperature of the batteries (car's heat causes thermostat to turn on power, but batteries are still frozen).
Best to have the thermostat as close as possible to the battery, or better still inside it. But then it is unlikely that the car heaters will heat the battery up in time for it to start charging before the end of your journey!

Yes, this is a big problem, the answer is for the battery to include a heater, so that it can heat itself up to charging temperature, which may be what their response meant by "a temperature control function". I'm not sure it is actually worth having a heated battery though since most of our journeys are not long enough to heat the battery enough to start charging in time to get a useful charge.

Would something like this TalentCell unit be a better option for year round use since it's a LiFePO4 battery like the Cellink Neo and others?
LiFePO4 batteries are not immune to problems caused by charging below freezing. They seem to be less likely to burst into flames, but they can certainly be damaged by fast charging at below freezing. We are now seeing quite a few Cellink batteries failing, possibly because they didn't have low temperature charging cutoffs.

The response was "X6 is safe to use in your car,...
That should be enough, although I would have liked them to add the words "below freezing", or "at all temperatures".

You could test it, put it in the freezer for a few hours, then plug it in to charge. If it takes several amps of current then it has no protection against cold charging. If it takes close to zero power then I will be happy to recommend it in future!

sharing the answer I got when I inquire about the X5 Mini

I am planning to use the SuperMini 5K to power my dashcam (instead of wiring the dashcam it directly to the car battery).
As we know the temperature inside the car can be hot, Is there a temperature limit for the SuperMini 5K?

Stop charging the battery when the temperature of the battery cell is detected as -10 degrees
Stop charging the battery when it detects a cell temperature of 55 degrees
When the temperature of the battery cell is detected to be -20 degrees, the battery will be stopped to discharge externally.
When the temperature of the battery cell is detected to be 60 degrees, stop the battery to discharge externally
When the temperature of the battery cell is detected to be 55 degrees, the fast charge output function is forcibly turned off and switched to 5V output

When SuperMini 5K is fully discharged,
how long does it take to full charged (using 5V/2.4A as input)?
will a short charge time (i.e. less than 5mins of driving) affect the overall health of the powerbank?

it will take about 3.5 hours to fully charge the Mini if the input is 5A/ 2.4A Yes, a short charge time will affect the overall health, please keep the battery power at 30%-60%

Got the X6 installed this weekend, so for initial testing results I'm slightly disappointed.

The X6 runs the camera just fine, no issues there. I'm not exactly sure how long it kept the camera running, though. Went out in the morning and the X6 was dead already. I didn't bother checking the video for a time stamp, wasn't that interested. I didn't use the X6's low power mode, so also not sure if that would keep it running longer.

However the Viofo hardwire kit from the A229 does not charge the X6. That's my main disappointment. I THINK it's because the Viofo kit outputs at 2amp, and perhaps the X6 requires more to sense charging current. I'm not 100% sure what the problem is.

Back