G - Sensor locking Footage

152bobby

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 2CH 622GW/Nextbase 422GW/Thinkware F200 2 CH Pro
Yes, I know that is what it's meant to do .

However, mine is set to low and seems to me locking more footage than I'd like and I'm not doing any harsh braking or going over potholes or humps etc

I'm thinking of just turning it off and when I need something saved and locked, I'll just use the screen (or possibly Alexa).

Can I ask a question ? When footage is saved and locked, does it EVER get overwritten or do I have to delete them myself ?

Thanks

When I realised that you're supposed to format the card every so often so I carried one out, I had locked files from when I first bought the dashcam.............18 months previously :ROFLMAO: so I guess that NO, the cam will not overwrite them and you'll have to manually delete them or format the card to remove them.

I always frequently format the SD cards, so I'll continue to do that. There must be people out there that don't and I expect they are going to hit issues when their SD card is full of saved footage !!

How events are handled are a bit up and down, in my experience / knowledge.

In the old days yes a memory card could completely clog up with events if you generated too many and was not aware of this predicament.
These days it seem like many brands use a unspecified amount of the memory card storage space for events, byt then once that fill up, those will actually also be overwritten to make room for new ones.
Some brands will allow you to adjust this ration of memory card use, i remember way back in the day i could do that on my Lukas LK-7500 camera.

It was my understanding that dashcams format all of the memory card when you do a in camera format, at least that is my personal experience in various brands, but it sound like Nextbase do not do that judging on what Sharky say.
Having to pick thru events one at the time on a little dashcam screen or a APP, that got to be a nightmare in slow motion.

Yesterday i looked over full 256GB cards that had seen service in my Viofo A229 duo camera, on all cards the memory space used for parking guard ( i dont generate much events as i dont press the button that often or my cat get hit while parked )
But ! anyway the memory space usage for parking was all 75 - 80 GB for parking guard files, and i doubt that i bu chance have managed to do just about the same amount of parking guards with several memory cards, so i suspect Viofo reserve 1/3 of the memory space for parking files.

Not quite sure how this add up but it is something i will experiment with the current card in the A229 System, how much event files will it save, and hoe much parking guard, and so what is left for regular files.
And are these reserved memory spaces dynamic in some way.

TBH i will have to pull the camera out of the car and experiment here on my computer table, so i can keep track on when is oldest file for each scenario made, and when do it get overwritten, and do the recycles space go to event / parking again or can regular recordings take it back.

Things like this is why i always say to people that they should play around with their cameras, so they have a better take on what they can expect of it, in regard to memory performance and of course image quality.

Just looked at my parking files on a old card, the oldest parking files are from 19 January, and the oldest ones are from the 29 of the same month.
But something are funny alright CUZ the last parking session is me having visited my mother and gotten back to the car, so i wonder where is the 3 hour parking session that would have started when i got home, or maybe i pulled the card out of the camera once i got home, probably the latter, it is months ago so i can not remember.
Anyway i use 3 hours on the timer recording low bitrate footage while parked. days of use / parking in this case are 19 - 22 - 23 - 24 - 25 - 27 - 28 - 29 January, my usual parking guard generation would only be 3 hours every active day, + a little, CUZ i leave home, do some shopping and return home, or i leave home, stop at the gas station. drive to my mothers place, and then shortly after that back home again where the 3 hour session kick in.

So all my small bits are just minutes shopping or at worst 30 - 40 minutes at my mothers place and that in bits as i do drive to the shops for her.

It is extremely i have more than one 3 hour parking session in a day, but it do happen some days when after mothers place i go to my friends place and i might then shoot my rifle for some hours there, but that are pretty much a summer or at least good weather thing.

so i have 7 full days of parking, 3 hours + some small stuff, and the the 29 its just ny short stop at the gas station and 30 minutes at my mothers place.
The session on the 19 it seem to just be the last 1 hour of a 3 hour parking session at home, so there must have been some recycling going on here deleting the first 2 hours of my parking on the 19.

EDIT, the oldest regular footage on the same memory card are from the 22, so now i dont think the assigned memory spaces are dynamic in that way, CUZ if parking could get recycled to regular footage, then the oldest parking guard footage should not be from the 19 ?????
On the other hand if you do not use parking guard, then the system will probably just fine use the whole 256GB for the other stuff it might do, but i suspect once you have started to generate parking guard footage in the parking folder, then you can do that until you hit the 80 GB or so, and then new parking will delete older parking footage.

Clearly there are things going on, so play around and figure out what go on exactly with your system.

PS: I wonder when they finally make the perfect dashcam, one that is also truly set and dont worry. :)

Last edited:
I've already formatted my card whilst in the dashcam. Later today, I'll look at the card and see what's on it, hopefully nothing. If there are lots of saved locked files dating back, I'll have to delete them on a laptop and then possibly ask Nextbase Support if this is normal practice and if it is, I'll just turn the G Sensor off completely.

Thanks for your thoughts on this

Back