G-Sensor Sensitivity

Saltcastle

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everybody, new A119 owner, first post, really enjoy reading in here.

In a few threads I have read about the sensitivity of the G-Sensor being way too sensitive for people, even when set to low. I seem to have the opposite happening (V2, FW 3.6). I have set mine to "high sensitivity" and it is almost impossible for me to trigger it. Even if I go over speed humps unpleasantly fast, no trigger. Super hard breaking (ABS kicking in) - no trigger. A door being closed very hard - no trigger. Me tapping the camera itself lightly - no trigger. Only when I tap it properly, as in it visually moves in the (non-GPS) mount, then it triggers.

I am not saying that the behaviour I see is wrong, but it does not seem to be commensurate with what others are reporting. I mean, if the camera is supposed to get triggered in parking mode when someone bangs a door against the parked car - my camera is FAR away from that kind of trigger point. Driving over reflectors (as I have read in the firmware thread) - not a hope.

What settings do others use and what events trigger their cameras? And Viofo, if you read this, what kind of events are generally supposed to trigger the G-Sensor?

@Saltcastle
I had mine set to the middle rang and found it triggered when I hit pot holes or damaged sections of road.
The thing to note in my case is I drive a low lying car and more importantly my dash cam wobbles in the GPS holder.
I added some tape to stop it moving in the GPS mount and also pulled the setting back to lowest.
It doesn't trigger anymore.
I'm guessing in a real crash the G forces would be much greater than a pot hole/speed hump.
A test you could try to prove it works is take it off the windscreen and while powered tape it sharply with a hard object, this should trigger it.

good luck.

@Saltcastle
[...]
A test you could try to prove it works is take it off the windscreen and while powered tape it sharply with a hard object, this should trigger it.

Thanks for replying. Given the fact that I have the opposite of a low lying car (we are talking 7 seater family 4WD / SUV here), it sounds like our cameras are behaving similarly.
I have tried tapping the camera, and yes, it does trigger, but the tap has to be quite a solid one.

I guess it is not that easy for the software to get the balance right between eliminating annoying false positives while at the same time not missing any action through false negatives. So I will just make sure that in case of an event I will (also) manually trigger the current video to be saved, just to be save.

yeah, too many different vehicle types to make a true one size fits all. my 2006 rav4 rides very stiff (for an suv) and it triggers all the time so i turned off the g-sensor. my wife's 2008 highlander is a much smoother ride, but even with g-sensor on low, it still triggers on reflectors and speed bumps. so i turned it off in her car too.

i'm not worried though - i have a 128gb card in each camera, so it would have to record almost ALL DAY to overwrite an important event. i figure if something that important happens, the car will be shut off soon after, and thus the file won't be overwritten.

I have a 128gb card in each camera, so it would have to record almost ALL DAY to overwrite an important event. i figure if something that important happens, the car will be shut off soon after, and thus the file won't be overwritten.

That is actually a very good point. You are right, even if the car is driven by someone else who does not know to press the save button manually if needed, it would take a long time of recording for the footage to be lost.

Back