G1W Blew Fuse Twice In One Day. Now What?

geeraffe

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I have been using my dash cam (this one) which is plugged into my cigarette for about 11 months up until a few days ago. I have an '08 corolla S with about 91k miles and live in Texas. A few days ago, I blew a fuse twice in one day, and both times I am almost positive the culprit has been the dash cam. I have a stock radio unit and don't plug anything else in, or split the power from the cigarette lighter. I bought the car used a year ago. I wanted to share my experience with others here and also ask for any recommendations on what to do next or what model dash cam to now buy that hopefully won't have this same problem. Here is my experience from the other day, written the day of:

This morning I go to start the car up and after about 3 seconds I hear a faint pop and then my radio, clock light and dash cam lose power. I'm still able to drive it and the A/C, dash indicators and head/rear lights and blinkers are fine. I take it to the mechanic and they tell me that I blew a fuse and to not have my dash cam plugged in while I start the car because as it's starting it draws more power compared to when it's being driven. They replace the fuse.

Throughout the day of 6 car starts I unfortunately forget to unplug it 3 times which thankfully were never a problem. Each time I forget I tell myself I need to get into the habit of unplugging it but then...

On my last trip just a bit ago (10:30 PM) I have it unplugged, drive for about 15 seconds, plug it in and instantly the fuse blew again with no more radio, clock or dash cam. On the subsequent drive home there was no issue with anything else in the car.

I went back to the mechanic the following day and replaced the fuse again. They were really nice and after telling them that it happened again asked me how long I was using the dash cam. After I told him he said yeah, you'll need to get a new one. So I wanted to ask you all which model to buy.

The G1W that I had been using was just fine for my needs - more than high enough resolution with sound and it was heat resistant which is necessary in Texas. Another thing that would be nice to have on my next model is also MicroSD card support - I have a 32GB one I bought for the G1W that I would like to be able to re-use.

Thanks for any insight.

One of the first dash cams I ever owned kept blowing fuses just like you describe. It turned out to be the power supply, not the camera itself. See if you can come up with an alternative cigarette lighter plug 12V adapter and cable and there's a good chance it will fix your problem. The power supplies shipped with some of these cameras leave a lot to be desired.

Something like THIS will work fine coupled with a USB-A to mini-B cable from Monoprice.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the suggestion! I'll try this and see what happens.

Back