G1W-C heat issues?

rudolf diesel

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've been running my new g1W-c for a week now and no real issues.

Until today.

It's gotten cold here lately and I've been running the WS heater. The Cam locked up today with a green screen while driving.

Pulling it off it's mount revealed it was quite hot. But hot on the front face which is the "metal" plate cover. the cover is essentially cosmetic as there is plastic (just like the rest of the case) behind it. So i figured it must be the WS heater blower blowing hot air at it.

I blew into the AV plug hole and felt hot air come out the other side of the case.

Sure enough, worked fine when plugged back in. About 10 minuets later, it locked up again and refused to shut down properly when unplugged.

Into the house and on to the separate 12 V power in the shop and it works fine again. Sure enough, case is now cool.

I'm letting it run for an hour or two on teh bench to see if it gets hot and repeats it's bad behavior.

Anyone else have trouble of this sort with a G1W?

The metal plate on the front is a heat trap on these, if it were me I'd take it off, it's only stuck on

Ah, it appears there's something else going on.

About 2 minutes into running, it locks up. Unit is cool.

I may have to take it apart and check to see everything is aligned properly and nothing is pinched from the front case removal....

Last edited:
OK, all cleaned up and back together.

Now to let it run for an hour or so and see what happens....

Last edited:
1/2 hour running, no issues.

I'm going to say it's fixed.

What I noticed is the "mode" button wasn't making a very firm "click" noise when pressed, indicating it was binding or too tight on the micro switch inside.

I backed the mounting screw for the board back 1/4 turn from snug (board is still solidly in place) and it started making a firm "click" noise and feeling.

So I'm going to (tentatively) say it was assembler error over torquing that little screw juuuust a hair too much thus distorting the board to where the switch was juuuust grazing being made and messing with the processors logic.

:)

Last edited:
Hi all, this is the OP of the thread, Rudolph Diesel. I was using the "facebook" log in option but something has gone screwy with that and it no longer works. I had to make a new log in and screen name.

I ran the cam 8 hours straight yesterday and no issues. 6 hours today.

I'm going to say my issue is definitely fixed!

My "lockup" issue has returned.

After fiddling around in the case looking for issues, I discovered I could not get the cam to lockup if the front case was off.

I tried all sorts on things, thinking it might be unintended contact from the led/ speaker boards to the main board or something.

I hit upon the fact that if the "chrome" lens ring was removed, I could do whatever I wanted with the cam and it wouldn't fail.

So I left the chrome surround off and clicked it back together. I'll run it li!e that for a while.

Near as I can figure, it must have been pushing on the CMOS sensor or something. Time will tell I guess.

Doesn't matter anyways, I'll be tossing the front case half when I mount it to the overhead console.

Well, chrome ring was another red herring. Ran for hours on the worktable without issue. Only lasted about 5 mins in the car. First road bump locked 'er right up.

The memory card is a brand new lexar 32 GB class 10 card. Bought from a major etailer and never gave any sign of trouble.

Since the cam only has trouble when recording, I figured I would try another card.

I picked up a sandisk 32 GB class 10 at Costco today.

Popped it in and not a lick of trouble on the way home. I even tapped the cam with gusto and pulled on the power wire.

Nada problemo.

Maybe the lexar card was then problem.

Fingers crossed.....

Tried with the g-sensor turned off?
I've always had it turned off.

Don't see a need for it and lots of people post troubles about it so I always go into setting and either turn it off or make sure its off.

Common cause of lockups on some of these so worth a mention

What do the files look like when it locks up, any clues there?

Common cause of lockups on some of these so worth a mention

What do the files look like when it locks up, any clues there?
Interesting idea.

I've never looked very close.

They just look like media files that won't open.

G sensor was definitely worth a mention. I didn't mean to sound snippy in my response if it came off that way.

Well, my cam has gone t!ts up.

Now it locks up and starts with white lines dancing all over the screen. Sometimes it goes solid blue/white/black vertical bars from one end of the screen to the other.

So, sent an email to the seller looking for a replacement.

Disappointing. I really liked it. Guess you take your chances at this price point.....

Back