G1W LED lights, move to bottom of casing and turn red for night dash light

adimw

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
A129, A119 Pro, B1W, 2*A119, 4*A118, G1W-H, G1W,
Why red? A much better colour for night vision! I do a lot of 4WDing and don't like distracting lights in the truck, hence red, should be (possibly!) handy for map reading.

We have rods and cones in our eyes. Cones are used at normal light levels and give us our visual acuity and color discrimination also called photopic vision. Rods are used in low light levels and give us night vision capability also called scotopic vision. At night or low light levels our eyes are dark adapted and the cones in our eyes are essentially "switched off". We are just using the rods in our eyes. Rods do not distinguish color only brightness. At a certain brightness level (~>0.3 cd/m^2) the rods get saturated with light and the cones take over. The rods are insensitive to longer wavelength lights (red region) so it is possible to increase illumination levels to provide high acuity vision needed to read gauges and displays and still remain dark adapted as you look out into the dark road in front of you. You're basically tricking the eye to activate both photopic and scotopic systems at the same time.

The LED on the front of a G1W provides no real purpose other than to say "hey im a camera" to other motorists, it does NOT help with night vision (actually can reflect off the glass making it worse!)

So, a wee mod for fun, as I have the camera apart to fix the bad focus anyway.

Cost $0... got a free light gel sample book from the local theatrical lighting store, tore a good RED out and used a tiny portion of it.

13DEK1U.jpg

8bpKPGV.jpg

qTHd3cB.jpg

2UTPMHj.jpg

T4oprpb.jpg

VJXYICh.jpg

T9Qx7kC.jpg

Kdv8kZT.jpg

opoMdvs.jpg

GdDdKuZ.jpg

KatXd6k.jpg

N1mSM0d.jpg