G1W radio interference

nalc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi folks,

I'm having an issue with the G1W and I'm wondering if anyone is having the same issue, or has any ideas for me.

Whenever the dash cam is plugged in, my FM radio reception is terrible. I have it installed at the top of my windshield, with the wire up the passenger side A-pillar. The radio antenna is on the rear of the roof, and the wire for that goes through the driver side A-pillar. My radio won't pick up any stations when the G1W is on, but as soon as I unplug it, everything works fine.

Might be the charger itself

I see from your posting history you also have a L100. Is that in the same car? If so do you use the same charger and still get the same problems?

Try to pull out G1W power cable from A pillar and connect it directly straight from dash-camera hanging down into cigarette lighter. This way you can see if still interference or not and go from there. If still interference, park friend car side-by-side with your car and connect g1w power cable into his car cigarette lighter and see what happens after that. Or you can use external battery back if you have at home. Most important to determine if interference comes from dash camera, from power cable, or from maybe you car cigarette lighter has poor connection, poor "ground", or something else ?

Another owner has emailed me with a similar problem. He asked to share it here:

Definitely not the power cable. It's noisy even when the switcher is unplugged. I am an electronics engineer and the problem is that the internal circuitry is not shielded and the high frequency clocks (or their harmonics) happen to be at the same frequency as FM radio. The camera can be shielded in some aluminum foil and grounded but then you lose the LCD.
If you look at high quality devices the HF part of the boards sits in a faraday cage that is grounded. But for a 60$ device they saved the extra few $$$ of parts and labor.

Also - the power cable acts as a big-ass antenna so if you run the camera on it's own battery the FM noise is significantly reduced but nevertheless still present.

Noticed the same here.
Now with a LS650W all noise has gone.

The G1W works without interfering the radio in another car, though.

I put ferrite cores on the power cable and that seemed to clear up most of the interference.

i have this same issue, i bought these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121266541522
going to see if they help with my problem when they arrive.
they arrived and ive fitted them, they helped somewhat but I still get some interference on certain stations. ive contacted the seller and they said that they would contact the manufacturer to see how best to solve the problem

so we will see what they say but its probably the power adapter as just having the adapter plugged in without plugging into the camera causes the interference. when I unplug it there is no interference so it must be the power adapter.

Hmm this radio interference puts me off the G1W. My aerial is built into my car (no external aerial) and worry this could interfere with mine..

Like most cams, there will be some with problems and others without. For a shade over £30 though, it's got to be worth a punt?

Like most cams, there will be some with problems and others without. For a shade over £30 though, it's got to be worth a punt?

or £9 more you can get a Mobius ;) no reported radio interference

When you have it on in the vehicle all day long, you get fed up with listening to the same songs day in, day out. You get fed up of listening to the same dribble from the presenters, the same tacky adverts etc.
I've loaded a 16GB SD card with music & have that playing all day long. Couple of weeks now & still to hear the same song twice.

When you have it on in the vehicle all day long, you get fed up with listening to the same songs day in, day out. You get fed up of listening to the same dribble from the presenters, the same tacky adverts etc.
I've loaded a 16GB SD card with music & have that playing all day long. Couple of weeks now & still to hear the same song twice.

That all depends on the station, I hate commercial radio. Non commercial radio rarely plays same music in one day/week

I can get Aylesbury's 'Mix96' - playing "Bucks' best mix of music" - bit of a strange tag really since it's about the only local radio station!, Heart, 3 Counties, BBC Oxford, R1, R2, Classical and maybe one or two others I forgot.
Whilst I hate the local radio, it can be useful for traffic updates - sometimes, when they pull their fingers out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M G1WX 18
Back