G1WH Dashcam Questions

NewPrometheus

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently bought a G1WH daschcam, and I'm having a little trouble understanding some of the settings and screen indicators. The User Manual seems to be written in some varient of "engrish", and so I'm hoping someone might be able to help me.

Settings:

1) Loop Recording
The only options available are: Off, 3 Minutes, 5 Minutes, and 10 Minutes. I'm using a 32 GB MicroSD card and I was hoping I would be able to record longer. Am I missing something?

2) Motion Detection
What does this option do, and what is it for?

3) Gsensor
This setting has several options: Off, High, Medium, and Low. But what does this option do, and what is it for?

4) IR LED
When set to On, does the LED stay on all the time, or is it supposed to only come on when needed? Also, I'm guessing that if it were really IR then I probably wouldn't be able to see it, or am I missing something?

Screen Indicators:

Please see the attached photo below:
G1WH Dashcam Screen Indicators.JPG

1) What is the time indicator in the upper right hand corner of the screen? Even when recording, it never seems to change, so it doesn't seem to the be recording time.

2) The battery indicator flashes constantly. Does that mean it is charging?

Bonus Question ;)

When I attach the camera to my computer, I see lots of short videos. Stunning picture quality -- so no complaints there. But, I've currently got the Loop Recording setting configured for 10 minutes, so I'm puzzled as to why there are several folders and several videos. Any ideas what may be going on?

Thank you!

1) Loop Recording
A G1W can hold roughly 5-6 hours of video on a 32GB card depending on bit rate (12-15) The camera then loops as the card becomes full once 5 or so hours have been recorded. The camera will start recording over the oldest set segment with a newer one. It records in segments of either 3 Minutes, 5 Minutes, or 10 Minutes. Turning it to off will cause the camera to stop once the card is full.

I recommend the smallest clip size the camera allows. It makes going back and saving something that happened easier. If you need to join short clips together you can use a program called Registrator Viewer.

2) Motion Detection
If you turn Motion Detection on and leave your camera on, but not recording the camera will record on its own when it sees something in front move into view. This feature usually does not work as well as people would like. If you had your car parked and a car drove past by the time the camera started recording the car would be almost gone.

3) Gsensor
The Gsensor locks the current file when the camera is shaken by something. It is used to auto lock a file from being recorded over by the loop function when it feels the impact of a crash, but if set too high hitting pot holes during normal driving will cause video files to auto lock as well.

You can also manually lock a file if something happens in front of you you want to save by hitting the mode button twice while the camera is recording. Once to turn the screen on and again to lock the file.

4) IR LED
The G1W does not really have an IR light it is more like a mini flash light. Leave it off, and DashCams that do have IR lights they are not powerful enough to be of much use and cause reflection off of glass.

1) Time Indicator
I think that is either how long the G1W has been on or how much recording time is left before loop. I can't recall for sure sorry.

2) The battery indicator flashes constantly. Does that mean it is charging?
Yes

Bonus Question
This is normal DashCam operation. If you want to join the files together download Registrator Viewer
http://www.registratorviewer.com/index_en.html
It does this so when the card is full it will erase the oldest 10 min clip and record a new one without you needing to do anything to the camera.

Also WDR is Wide Dynamic Range. It makes night time footage look better but day time footage look worse. Ideally you want to switch it back and forth, but if you do a lot of day time driving you want to leave it off.

That time indicator tells you how long the cam has been recording the current file - for 10 min file slices, it'll count up to 10mins then reset to zero for the next file.

I always turn my g-sensor off, even on lowest sensitivity I find it annoying that it locks a file even on the smallest bump/pothole

That time indicator tells you how long the cam has been recording the current file - for 10 min file slices, it'll count up to 10mins then reset to zero for the next file.

Now that I hear you say it it's coming back to me. I've been working with my G90 and on there it seems like the indicator shows how long the camera has been on. When I come out of a store and check it it has something like 15 mins when I only record in 1 min segments.

I think the flashing battery symbol just indicates it is powered by the USB cable. The led turns purple/blue to indicate it is charging and red/off when charged.

why does WDR make daytime footage look worse? I have mine on and the image is amazing. Am I missing something?

jokiin could probably explain it better then I can, but I remember when I used to run my Vico TF2+ it actually was able to be set up so WDR would turn it self off and on depending what time it was.

Last edited by a moderator:
why does WDR make daytime footage look worse? I have mine on and the image is amazing. Am I missing something?

Yeah, I agree: I have WDR on all the time and picture quality is stunning. I think I'll just leave it on all the time since it doesn't seem to hurt daytime picture quality and it can only improve nighttime picture quality.

Thank you all for your extremely helpful responses!

Cheers!

For many years, I've had lights that can turn on at dusk. Would it be so difficult to ditch that (cough) infra-red light and replace it with some sort of low light sensor to activate WDR?

WDR ( wide dynamic range ) in dashcams meant not only for night time video footage improvement, but its also helping a lot at day time, especially in so called extreme situations like shadow areas, driving in- and out from tunnel, against low sun, etc. Not all WDR are tuned up properly. It takes a lot of test and try by finrmware developers to tune up WDR to work properly.

I leave my WDR on all the time, and my video is fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Even night video on my G1W blows me away

I just got my g1wh and its legit, just confused on the light indicators. On my first ride it was Purple, on my way home it was red and randomly said goodbye on the screen and shut off. im not sure if it was still recording or not. i like the screen to be on all the time too. any suggestions on settings?

Ohhh..... well that makes perfect sense. Just didn't try out the EV setting to see if that changed the readout. Thanks all.

View attachment 25756
Can anyone please explain to me what this icon is for?
A little bit more information on that icon: although it says '0' it's not really zero. It's the equivalent to 'Auto' in other cameras, which means the exposure will vary according to the lighting conditions, as opposed to when you set a '+' or '-' value, which are fixed exposure values.

Back