G1WH Loop Recording Turned Off Question

hanstj

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Insta360 One R 1-Inch Edition, Sony HDR-PJ540
Hi everyone,

I just recently bought a G1WH. The firmware is 2014.0108. The memory card I am using is SanDisk 32GB class 4.

I tested the camera today with loop recording turned off. The whole drive took about 1 hour. However, when the recording reached 44:40 long, it would just stop recording. I had manually press the "record" button to have it start recording again. On the way home, I tried testing the camera again with exactly the same setting. And again, exactly at 44:40, it stopped recording. I was expecting, with loop recording turned off, the camera could simply record continuously without stopping until the card is full.

So, is this just the limitation of the device? What is actually causing this?

But what confuses me is, a 44-minutes-40-seconds-long 1080p video is only 4GB, which means there is plenty of space in my 32GB memory card. Why would it stop recording?

Now that I mentioned about the file size, isn't it interesting that the recording would stop at exactly 4GB? Does this 4GB happen to be the "hardware limitation"?

Do you think it is possible that it is a memory card problem? I have never received a "memory error" message though. All the videos I have recorded so far came out sharp and clear. Only this "4GB limit" is confusing me.

Has anyone here ever recorded long non-stop video with loop recording turned off?

Yep when the card was formatted it used the fat32 file system which has a single file size limit of 4gb, dont think the cams take a diff file system like ntfs so you could try a different firmware, may just be a bug with the firmware your using

Hi everyone,

I just recently bought a G1WH. The firmware is 2014.0108. The memory card I am using is SanDisk 32GB class 4.

I tested the camera today with loop recording turned off. The whole drive took about 1 hour. However, when the recording reached 44:40 long, it would just stop recording. I had manually press the "record" button to have it start recording again. On the way home, I tried testing the camera again with exactly the same setting. And again, exactly at 44:40, it stopped recording. I was expecting, with loop recording turned off, the camera could simply record continuously without stopping until the card is full.

So, is this just the limitation of the device? What is actually causing this?
All SDHC cards have a 4gb file recording limitation. They break each recording into 4gb files until capacity of the card is reached. There is no way around this. ***The exception is if you use a SDXC card. It will allow continuous recording in a single file until the capacity of the card is reached. (the cards use different formats, SDHC=fat32 / Sdxc=exfat)
**with the loop function turned OFF, the camera functioned as it should.
**if you have the loop function turned ON, it will automatically continue to record(as you want) but the files will be in 4gb sections and when capacity is reached, then the oldest file will be overwritten.
***Tip*** for your camera /card to function its best, you should format the card inside of the camera.
***solution: if you want 1 continuous file (no matter if loop function is turned on or off) then you need to use a SDXC card. *****but not all devices are compatible with them, be sure to check before buying/using. *****
This is a great link explaining the difference in SD cards, capacity and usage..
https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/sdxc_capabilities/using_sdxc/
***hope this helps

Back