G1WH problems

kiwi

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
DVR-207
Just got it today, prior i had the original G1w with no faults ever.

So I install my card, only captures a couple mintues before shutting off and reading card error. Purchased another SD card and same problem.

The footage it did capture had it blurry one corner and recorded no sound. It's genuine, from Estore

The G1WH I received in the last few day's records the audio very quiet , I have to turn volume up to nearly max on the PC to hear it,
I am not fussed about sound though as It is the picture that was important to me, no issues with shutting down though.

Received my G1wh about 2 weeks ago for estore and the video and SD card reading works fine.
Sound is an issue with my unit. Most of the time it records very feint - no sound, other times the sound is there... I would say about 20% of the videos have sound that cuts in and out.

Maybe you can try other firmware. Users have flashed firmware from DOD LS388w or Shadow GT300w (plus some others) and G1WH is performing better after update.

Firmware Update Instructions

1.Download the firmware file to your computer
2.Unzip the file
3.Format your memory card in your computer (or unit)
4.Copy the bin file to the root of your memory card
5.Change the name of the firmware you would like to flash to FWDM800H (required as the G1WH will not update with bin files with names other then this)
6.Put card into camera
7.Power camera on (make sure the camera is plugged in)
8.The camera will update automatically. The screen will stay off but the status light will ight up; it will take 30-60 seeconds
9.After updating, remove the memory card and test with another memory card. Remove the firmware from the memory card you would like to use or it will flash every time"

LINK TO FIRMWARE

So I install my card, only captures a couple mintues before shutting off and reading card error. Purchased another SD card and same problem.
What brand cards?

I've also purchased a G1WH from estore. The recording works OK with 32gb QUMO SD card (UHS-1 class). But sadly I have the issue with the blurry image on the right side. Also I think you have the same sound problem - it actually is working, but it is not really sensitive. Only when I turn up the music to be quite loud I hear it (very silent though) in the background.

I will try to do so today, will see how it goes after update.

Ok, let us know if it is better.

Just went and fetched my cam from my car, installed Shadow GT300W 1306180-SC-2 firmware. Will look at the recordings after a drive home, but made a short test recording - looks like the blur is gone (probably), can't tell about the audio though.

looks like the blur is gone (probably),.
Very interesting. I thought this was a lens issue (some glue sometimes on the lens)
Please confirm this, and also audio improvement

Very interesting. I thought this was a lens issue (some glue sometimes on the lens)
Please confirm this, and also audio improvement

I'm also quite surprised, I expected this to be a hardware issue. I filmed my monitor with some text on it, and saw no distortion on the picture. I will be able to confirm both issues after a ride with music on to see if the sound improved and the blur is indeed absent or it is just wishful thinking.

OK, the blur is still here :) The audio is somewhat fixed - I guess this firmware made the mic more sensitive, which means I can at least hear some stuff. At least now I can read aloud a license number to get it recorded. It is still faint (if I talk in a normal voice I can hear myself talking, but can not understand anything) + background noise due to sensitivity, but it's better than nothing.

Here is a sample video:

Last edited:
Hard to see with Youtube compressions, but what I see is the half right site of the screen completely blurred.
I think there is a focus problem.
Water drops seem to be well focused on the whole screen.

I suggest you to open the case, and make yoursef a good focus.
You will have to remove the glue on the lens to make it rotate.

You must set the focus to be sharp from 1m to infinite.

I also ordered a G1WH from estore.
I hope I will not have the same problem...

If you manage to make the focus by yourself, ask for a partial refund to estore ;)

I have no idea how to correct the focus :) I wonder if anyone did that a has a step-by-step guide?

It is very simple.
Just open the case, and turn (rotate) the lens after removing glue that is blocking it.

The lens looks like something like this :
you can see the glue that must be removed before rotating the lens.

2fd0e7c1982f.jpg

I might try it some day :) Also, shouldn't the focus be consistent throughout the picture? I mean, in a regular camera when you focus on something, the whole picture has the same focus. I never saw partial focus issues, so I wonder how rotating the lens will help solve the problem.

You are right, that is also what I was asking me... but you have to try this I think.
And, after opening the case, probably you will see that the lens is not correctly mounted to the PCB ?

Hey all, I've also got a G1WH and thought I'd share my experiences thus far.

I bought two units in late March (2014) through eBay seller "1gobuy", who has very good feedback (99% positive). The units were advertised as "Full HD1080P 2.7" LCD Car Dash DVR Camera Recorder G-sensor G1WH Novatek NT96650", so I figured they were genuine.

One unit for was me and the other was for a friend. We both bought 16Gb SanDisk Ultra Class 10 Micro SD cards to use with the cams. My unit has been working well, with the exception of sound recording being very low, as noted by other uses. My unit came with firmware version 2014.0108. I record at 1080p with HDR enabled on a 10 min loop cycle, and all is good.

My friends unit however has started having some problems. She informed that sometimes when she's driving the unit just automatically turns itself off. Since then things have gotten worse, in that currently the unit powers on and the screen displays what the camera sees, however all the on-screen information is now missing. ie, battery icon, resolution, etc. All that the screen displays is what the camera is seeing.

I've messed around with the cam a bit whilst she was driving to try figure out the issue. The unit remains connected to the cars cigarette lighter power source all the time. The only thing the camera will do is power off and on by holding the power button. None of the other buttons do a thing. However, I noticed that once I removed the SD card and power on the unit the on screen display returns as normal, along with the camera image. However at that point the camera presents a message about inserting a memory card and then just powers down again.

As such I'm guessing the problem is SD card related. When I get a chance to troubleshoot it I'll try formatting the SD card on a PC and see if that has an effect, as well as try a different SD card. I also read that having a 10 min loop cycle can cause problems with these cams so I'll chech that too. I'm not sure what firmware version her unit is running but I'll check that also and maybe try a firmware update if necessary.

When the G1WH is working properly I'm actually very impressed with its performance, especially given the cheap price (only cost me AUD$70 through eBay). The video quality is great, and the wider FOV makes a huge difference compared to my previous cam. I also own a GS1000 Orange Menu unit, and compared to the GS1000 the G1WH has a much wider FOV and much clearer video. The GS1000 has better audio pickup, but it's not exactly fantastic either.

Back