G2W problems

rich973

Reaction score
Country
Switzerland
Hi all,

I recently bought a G2W from CG Group Co., Ltd. on Aliexpress for $61.36.

Device came and video quality seemed fine.

HOWEVER it would not turn on reliably. In fact mostly it would freeze during splash screen when turned on (normally this device should turn on automatically when USB charger is connected). Only approx. 5% of the time would it turn on normally and start recording video. This made the camera mostly useless as a dashcam. I tried a few chargers (even one specified as 2.6A which should be enough!), with and without an SD card, and even several different SD cards.

I contacted the seller and was told to ship item back. However as is usually the case, shipping the item back to China would have cost almost the purchase price so I was tempted to try to solve the problem myself.

Other symptoms (as it seemed to me) is that the device would always turn off about 10sec after removing usb charger, even when configuring automatic power-off options to 3,5 or 10 minutes. Also it seemed that probability of freezing during boot decreased slightly after leaving device on charger for several hours. So this lead me to believe that perhaps it was the battery that was defective. So I opened up the camera (a bit of a challenge!) and tried (1) disconnecting the battery, and (2) soldering another battery. Neither setup changed anything to the automatic power-on problem.

So then I was tempted to try a new firmware. However I was unable to find a G2W specific firmware on the net (current firmware version was listed as 300GXXXXXX, can't remember exact numbers but corresponded to some date in August 2013). My searches resulted in a guess that the G2W is the same as the Blackview BL300, however there is no downloadable firmware for BL300 on the Blackview website. I tried firmware for BL330 (named FW96650A.bin), but this resulted in a device that will no longer boot (black screen). I tried many other FW96650A.bin firmwares but none have worked so far, although all appear to result in an attempt to load firmware from SD card (which makes blue LED go through a certain flashing sequence).

So there you go. If anyone by any chance has a pointer to a firmware for the G2W, this would be really appreciated. Otherwise I hope that perhaps this may serve as a warning to anyone else with similar symptoms...

Cheers
Rich973

You semi bricked it. I had a g2w and flashed some other firmwares. It still recorded video and sound, but the screen never worked except for a splash screen. I tried all the firmwares I could find. None would make the screen work.
It came with firmware 330G20130420. You could make it work again if you could find that firmware. That is the only cam with a 3 inch screen that I know of.
You may have seen my post

http://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/white-balance.3573/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the link. I had actually casually read your thread a while back but didn't pay attention to your use of the LS300W firmware.
I'll try again soon with the LS300W firmware and see if it is actually saving video even if the screen remains blank. If so then it could still be useable.

It may take a few days, but I'll post an update with the result.

Thanks again.

Oh, and maybe my original firmware was 330G201308XX and not 300G... - I don't remember. I think I wrote it down on a scrap of paper somewhere. Should have made a proper note before casually flashing it. Stupid me!

FYI
I tried the LS300W firmware. I had to rename it to FW96650A.bin for it to load.
I now get the DOD Dream-of-Digitech jingle and splash screen.
After a few restarts (my problem of frozen splash screen seems to still be present!) I also managed to get a fraction of a second of live video (I think), before the screen goes blank.
After a few minutes, I checked the SD card but there were no video files to be found.

When I flashed it, mine would start recording on power up. Sounds like yours is defective since you still have the frozen splash screen and the fraction of a second recording.

I tried to upload some photos but they were apparently too big, and I am lazy to reduce the resolution, sorry.
But in case this is useful to someone, here is the text printed on PCB: A7_M5_V4.0--08-09 1338

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W G1WX 6
C G1WX 7
Sprag G1WX 9
G G1WX 1
E G1WX 11
Back