Garmin 56W on Nextbase hardwire kit?

OldSparks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
New user here. I've just bought a Garmin 56W to replace a Nextbase 312W.
I've got the Nextbase hard wire kit fitted, which has a Mini B plug.
The Garmin uses a Micro B plug
(I think these are right?)
Just been doing some reading and it appears that the Garmin uses a 17.3 k resistor between pins 4 and 5 in the power lead?
Anyone know if the Nextbase is similar, and if I can just use an adaptor to change the plug type?
I don't really want to reinstall the cable as it was a complete pain to do. Or buy another hardwire kit.
Any suggestions?

Welcome to DCT :)

I know this is not going to be the answer you want to hear, but it's best to use the Garmin HWK. Using anything they don't supply or specifically approve of can void the warranty :oops: I do think converting the NB HWK would work, but I just can't recommend that.

Phil

Thanks for the reply Phil. I'd wondered about the warranty, it's why I got the Nextbase HWK in the first place.
I'll leave the HWK where it is and use the supplied cigar lighter kit for the moment I reckon. A pain, but not quite as bad as another HWK. That required removing the glove box and surround to get at the fuses and do it tidily. You do have to ask why a car maker would fit the fuse box with a bunch of wires over the top of the fuses!
Heigh ho!

Back