Google will soon let Pixel phones double as dashcams

Lothar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rather than needing to buy a (sometimes pricey) dedicated gadget, you should soon be able to use your Pixel (and select other Android devices) as a dashcam for your car following an upcoming Personal Safety update.

About APK Insight: In this “APK Insight” post, we’ve decompiled the latest version of an application that Google uploaded to the Play Store. When we decompile these files (called APKs, in the case of Android apps), we’re able to see various lines of code within that hint at possible future features. Keep in mind that Google may or may not ever ship these features, and our interpretation of what they are may be imperfect. We’ll try to enable those that are closer to being finished, however, to show you how they’ll look in the case that they do ship. With that in mind, read on.

On select Android devices – primarily Google’s Pixel phones but also other devices like the Nothing Phone (1) – the Personal Safety app offers useful features like “Emergency Sharing,” “Safety Check,” and “Car Crash Detection.” This evening, Google seems to have mistakenly launched a “dogfood” build of Personal Safety – version 2023.04.27.532191641.8-dogfood – via the Play Store.

Inside, our team managed to enable a new feature called “Dashcam” that, as the name suggests, records video (and audio, optionally) while you are driving. If your phone is mounted in the right spot, the recording should provide helpful information in the event of an accident or other unexpected situation.

Once available, the feature can be launched through a new “Dashcam” shortcut in the “Be prepared” section of the home page. Here, you can begin recording manually or view your recent videos. While Dashcam is recording, your phone is still fully usable, including for navigating with Google Maps. Alternatively, you can save power by locking your screen, and the recording will continue.

1684298312335.png1684298334494.png1684298351926.png1684298373579.png1684298514099.png

More importantly, Google has built this feature to work without you needing to think much about it. When setting up, you can choose to have recordings begin automatically when you connect to a particular Bluetooth device (i.e. your car stereo or infotainment system) and end when you disconnect.

To conserve storage space, your recordings are automatically deleted after three days unless you save them. Additionally, the app says that the videos themselves are compressed, averaging “30 MB per minute,” with a maximum recording length of 24 hours.

1684298742369.png1684298785480.png1684298836234.png1684298884927.png1684299168192.png

Overall, this feature seems to be impressively well thought-out and looks essentially ready to launch. Using a smartphone as a dashcam also makes quite a bit of sense, as your phone probably has a better camera than some cheaper dashcams would offer.

That said, we would have liked to see the option to use the ultrawide lens to offer a bigger picture. We also wonder about how Personal Safety will be able to do this type of always-on recording without generating excess heat, especially if your phone needs to be mounted in a position that’s likely to see a lot of direct sunlight.

Nothing in the feature’s text mentions Pixel exclusivity, so it remains to be seen whether Dashcam will be available on other phones with Google’s Personal Safety. If it is an exclusive, the next big opportunity for Google to launch Pixel features would be next month’s June Pixel Feature Drop.

Source: https://9to5google.com/2023/05/16/pixel-dashcam-personal-safety-update/

Been a longtime since I've been here. I decided to stop by after reading this interesting news a few hours ago...
Many of you know that I have been wishing for the likes of Google and Apple to get in the game.

Yes...No rear cam or parking mode, but it's a start.

Earliest date that this feature might arrive: June Pixel Feature Drop (This is the author of this article's estimate, I wouldn't hold my breath on this "June" timeline)
It is also possible that Google might delay this feature until October launch date of the Pixel 8 (My estimate, and it probably makes sense to introduce this as an "exclusive" feature similar to Magic Eraser, then backport it to previous generation Pixel phones if possible like they did with Magic Eraser, Face Unblur, and/or Photo Unblur.

I look forward to the review from @rcg530 , @Vortex Radar , @Panzer Platform , @TonyM , and many others!

That's almost click bait.
Sounds good but 30MB per minute seems incredibly small of course being Google perhaps they have some crazy algorithm

My phone cracks it if I have it powered via the car while recording it gets super hot.
No Sir. There are many Android click bait sites...That website isn't one of those.
They actually opened the APK and dissected it. Most click bait sites don't do that

Agreed, but I prefer to wait and see...I do have a Pixel 7, but I prefer to leave that to the testers here that will do a better job.
Also don't care for it as much because it does not function as a dual cam (I need a rear) and also no viable parking mode (low bit rate recording mode specifically).

Maybe they have some mathematical AI alogrithm secret sauce like they do for their pictures and why their phones always shoot the best pictures on any smartphone consistently every year. Apple still has them beat when it comes to video with the iPhone though so it is possible that Apple might deliver a better dashcam video solution in the future

No Sir. There are many Android click bait sites...That website isn't one of those.
They actually opened the APK and dissected it. Most click bait sites don't do that

Agreed, but I prefer to wait and see...I do have a Pixel 7, but I prefer to leave that to the testers here that will do a better job.
Also don't care for it as much because it does not function as a dual cam (I need a rear) and also no viable parking mode (low bit rate recording mode specifically).

Maybe they have some mathematical AI alogrithm secret sauce like they do for their pictures and why their phones always shoot the best pictures on any smartphone consistently every year. Apple still has them beat when it comes to video with the iPhone though so it is possible that Apple might deliver a better dashcam video solution in the future
It will be interesting to see how this goes.
Everyone always says a phone could do what a dash cam does except they don't really know what is required of a dedicated dash cam.
Perhaps they will be able to add some A.I. to that sauce.

I agree with the rear camera i loved it when they came out with 1080 it's been interesting to see the rear ends that have just missed me over time.

I wonder if Google would send out their phones for testing? I'll be happy to test it out

Cheers

It will be interesting to see how this goes.
Everyone always says a phone could do what a dash cam does except they don't really know what is required of a dedicated dash cam.
Perhaps they will be able to add some A.I. to that sauce.

I agree with the rear camera i loved it when they came out with 1080 it's been interesting to see the rear ends that have just missed me over time.

I wonder if Google would send out their phones for testing? I'll be happy to test it out

Cheers
100% sure that they won't.
Unless you're the likes of MKBHD, or have some tech website or YouTube that generate millions of eyeballs.

Also possible that this dashcam feature may not be exclusive to the Pixel 7 or 8.
As long as it has a "Google Tensor" processor, even the Pixel 6A and the upcoming Pixel 7A (which should be released in the next few months).

There is an old thread here on the forum that dates all the way back to 2012 when apps began to appear that would allow you to use your phone as a dash cam.

It wasn't really a great idea back then and it probably isn't such a good idea now either.

As I recall, aside from not performing well as dash cams, phones tend to have a habit of overheating when used as dash cams.

Of course, you'll notice that everyone lost interest in the subject and the last post to the thread was 8 years ago.

Cell Phones as Dash Cams

Out of curiosity i had a look on YouTube and stumbled on this. Dated 4 yrs ago!

These apps are still out there. These are all recent reviews.

Last edited:
30MB per minute is low bitrate! (4Mbps)

For me, the impracticality of mounting my phone in a location where I would want a dashcam is an instant no-go.

However, many drivers have their phone mounted somewhere on or near their dashboard. If their phone can be doing something useful whilst driving such as recording low bitrate video in the background, that might be better than no dashcam at all? At that bitrate it shouldn't overheat like it would if you set your phone to record continuous 4K video.

I look forward to the review from @rcg530 , @Vortex Radar , @Panzer Platform , @TonyM , and many others!
Yo Lothar,
I feel honored to be held in your esteem, and even be mentioned in the same breath as these subject matter experts, but I would have to pass on this.
-Chuck

Agree with DM, plus the same can be said for trying to a mobile as a SatNav. In my experience some can overheat. My HTC One M7 got almost too hot to touch so I switched back to my Garmin Nuvi.

30MB per minute is low bitrate! (4Mbps)

For me, the impracticality of mounting my phone in a location where I would want a dashcam is an instant no-go.

However, many drivers have their phone mounted somewhere on or near their dashboard. If their phone can be doing something useful whilst driving such as recording low bitrate video in the background, that might be better than no dashcam at all? At that bitrate it shouldn't overheat like it would if you set your phone to record continuous 4K video.
Yep. I'm a video quality person as many of you know here already.
Would still be interesting to compare though...Maybe someone can compare "low bitrate" parking mode in a typical 2K/4K dashcam and compare it to Google dashcam app.

Yeah, mounting the phone up there would look tacky, along with inviting the thieves.
I don't mount my phone anywhere in my car at all and simply use Wireless Android Auto with my car's infotainment center.
Don't want to damage my dash, and I don't want broken vent clips which are very unsightly IMO.
Yes...Even though my CX-5 is almost 2.5 years old, in many ways I still have "new car" syndrome because I want this car to last me until 2035 if possible as this is my last combustible engine vehicle.

Agree with DM, plus the same can be said for trying to a mobile as a SatNav. In my experience some can overheat. My HTC One M7 got almost too hot to touch so I switched back to my Garmin Nuvi.
Garmin Nuvi...wow, I haven't used that thing in ages.
I remember my model was 765T (or something similar?), and I was posting once a week on the POI Factory website(I haven't been there in ages, I probably even had the same username over there...) to meet their 3 out of 5 weeks rule get access to their red light/speed camera database.

I started using the smartphone Google Maps during the Samsung Galaxy S2 era, but still had my Garmin Nuvi hooked up for red light/speed camera data.
At some point when red light/speed camera apps started appearing in the Google Play store (I used RadarDroid which was essentially an overlay over Google Maps with POI factory camera database which was updated by them), I switched over completely and retired the Garmin unit. Google and Waze have live user submitted camera data, so no need to download an extra app anymore, or even use POI factory. Crowd sourced data has been pretty accurate too.

Things I noticed right away when I started using smartphone Google Maps on a phone over Garmin Nuvi:
  • I did not need to actually see the map on my screen to know where I'm going so most times, my phone is facing down on the car seat somewhere. When Google Maps tells me "In 600ft, turn right", I have a pretty good idea of what 600 ft is and I don't miss my turn.
  • No outdated 5 year Navteq old maps. Despite being advertised as a 2013 Map update by Garmin, the data is usually 5 years old (2008 data) and Google Maps have more current mapping data and streets.
  • No waiting for GPS satellite lock. Any phone from Google or Apple can figure out where you are using cellphone tower triangulation, WiFi networks, Bluetooth beacons, etc...
  • Clear Channel traffic data doesn't hold a candle to Google Maps traffic data.
  • No need to have an extra beanbag GPS mount hanging on my dash for no reason
Disagree with your mobile as a SatNav experience comparison to this, but maybe that overheating issue was an issue with the particular phone model that you had?
Maybe keeping the screen off during the earlier years kept me away from this heat issue, or maybe it's the fact that I ran away from Samsung as soon as I could and transitioned to using unlocked Google Nexus/Pixel devices which avoids unnecessary manufacturer (Sense/TouchWiz UI, unnecessary duplicative apps) and carrier bloat, or a combination of all of these?

The HTC One M7 is a 10 year old phone...Try a more recent device and your experience might be different. :)

This looks interesting. I did a video a little while back on how I think a dedicated dashcam is a much better option than a smartphone and I got a lot of flack for it, lol. Either way, this still looks cool to see and I'm glad they're working on this. I may pick up a Pixel once the app is officially released to test this out and do a video on it. The 30 MB/min file size sounds extraordinarily low. I wonder how they're doing that and maintaining some semblance of good video quality, but Google can do some really cool stuff regarding video processing so I suppose we'll see. I'm also curious to see if they're going to incorporate some AI into this and what sorts of benefits this'll have over existing dashcam apps other than just being a solution straight from Google.

If I tried to use my phone as a dashcam it would be doing a lot more work. Maybe asking too much of it.

My phone, when in the car, runs Speedtrap Alert for UK speed cameras, connects to the car headunit to run Android Auto Google Maps and runs Garmin Smartlink to provide traffic alerts to my Garmin DS61. I think it's doing enough and it's doing it all perfectly.

I still run the Garmin because of the traffic bar which shows the traffic status for the whole plotted journey which I find very useful. Google Maps only visibly shows traffic on the displayed map.

Back