GoPro Finally Launches Hero 5 Action Camera

RPhil

Reaction score
Country
United States
The holiday season is just around the corner and GoPro intends to capitalize on it by launching Hero 5 Black and Hero 5 Session. Touted as the most powerful action camera, the two new Hero 5 action cameras, comes with a message to make it more accessible for the average users. This can be attached to the newly launched drone Karma (the first non-camera product).

Want to know more about the waterproof, cloud-connected camera that listens to your voice commands? Take a look here http://alph.st/bdc6d6f6

So they forgot to add the 4K 60fps,
and they forgot the H265,
and the video stabilisation only works at 1080 resolution, not at 4K,
and they invented a remote control that only has one button, but has lots of voice commands.

GoPro-Hero-5-remote-control-remo.jpg

(Photo: http://elproducente.com/gopro-hero-5-review/)
"...It can also be used as a one-button remote from up to 33ft (10m) away. It understands 13 commands & 10 languages and comes with Clip & Wrist housing..."

But don't all these voice commands that you can give get recorded by the microphone and spoil the video? :confused:

Being waterproof to one atmosphere(33 feet/ 10 meters) by itself, is a huge scoring point for a scuba diver!
Gopro's " Professional grade electronic image stabilization" is not thoroughly explained in form or applied resolution on their website; nor the Verge nor Cnet.
Sony has announced an optical image stab. for the new xv 3000!
P.S. According to www.newsshooter.com the Hero 5 image stabilization works in resolutions up to 2.7 k res.!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been thinking if the new cameras have OIS, wont that mean you cant replace the lens without loosing OIS ?

I have been thinking if the new cameras have OIS, wont that mean you cant replace the lens without loosing OIS ?
I don't believe that the image stab. is optical in nature like the new Sony xv 3000(?)- not enough lateral dimemsion!
A depiction on Sony's site shows a series of lenses in the new cam. Sony's form factor allows lateral free space to install such an optical system. 'sounds great but I still don't like the shape, and the $500 dollar cost, $ 150 dollars more with their new compact live view remote control! Still I might bite.
Hey, K , You changed your image!
P.S. I just saw the kit with remote,$549.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i grabbed some frames of Brian from some episodes or clips on youtube, that way i can mix it up a little depending on my mood or the season.
My nic is,,,, well just a nic, my avatar that's the real me, at least the name part.

I actually prefer the Sony shape but now they do appear to be mighty large compared to gopro cameras, and as i see it that don't mean you have a lot better battery time or get superior footage as a trade off.

The emerging videos off the gopro 5 look interesting i think, but there is no way i can afford such a thing at the moment.

After i have just spent money on a new SSD for the computer i think next up must be a new monitor as the old CRT screen is on its last legs, also my smart phone is getting weird on me but i am actually one of the few persons where that don't matter much, if it die i do have a old dumb phone i can put my SIM card in.

Seem like GP5 will not be good for night time driving.

Seem like GP5 will not be good for night time driving.
Maybe it is designed only for use with next years new mega brightness LED headlights?

Not sure why it would be that bad.

I'll want to see sj7 compared under the same conditions!

See dcrainmaker's you tube video . He goes through the menus and even describes that the touch screen is not perfect.
A review says that the 60 m.waterproof case called, The Suit, allows use of the touchscreen after choosing an increased menu sensitivity!

That new SJ camera do look interesting, but they are not known for the best after sale support or updates.

I heard that about the gopro 5 dive case too, and it is pretty cool you can still use the display and then change settings down below :cool:

See dcrainmaker's you tube video . He goes through the menus and even describes that the touch screen is not perfect.
A review says that the 60 m.waterproof case called, The Suit, allows use of the touchscreen after choosing an increased menu sensitivity!
Presumably the touch screen doesn't work underwater since it has no way to tell the difference between water and your finger which is mainly water.

Since it is waterproof anyway down to 10 meters, why would you want to use the touchscreen with it in the case?

DCrainmaker's video shows him removing the hero 5 lens cap to install it into the 60 m. case , and explaining that you open the menu and choose extra sensitivity of the touchscreen, rather than "default"!
Pay attention,Nigel!

That new SJ camera do look interesting, but they are not known for the best after sale support or updates.

I heard that about the gopro 5 dive case too, and it is pretty cool you can still use the display and then change settings down below :cool:
Possible equipment loss is the reason I don't want to spend too much on a camera I am taking underwater.There have been many comments here on the forum about the unreliability of SJCam, but consider: Sony explicitly states in the manual for the new FDR 3000R that in the unlikely event that the seal fails Sony is not responsible for water damage or loss of photography value.
How do you like them apples?

Thinking that just a hair in between the seals can be problematic, not least as you go deeper and deeper.

Well if SJ knock the ball out of the park at strike 1 then there is no need to worry, and they sort of did that with the SJ4000.
And not forgetting at any time can a company decide to do things better or worse than before, so its by no means me ripping on a brand of witch i have never owned a product.
But my friend like his SJ4000 and when he scratched up the lens on it he promptly ordered a new one.

I am wondering how gopro will pull it off, not least as divers often wear gloves too.

Now i am wondering if voice commands will work under water :D

Glllluppp gllup gluup gluuuupppp

No problem, you just put that 1 button remote control inside your mouth so that it can hear you without any issue with the water, you can also press the button with your tongue. :)

Of course you have to hold the camera to your mouth before it will receive the bluetooth signal as that will only go through 5cm of water.

I still don't think the touchscreen will work underwater even though it can be used inside the waterproof case on land.

Perhaps a remote BT microphone to put in the mask, and then since you cant pronounce words as above water then the camera need to have a separate understanding for diver speak and in 7 languages.

Go Ro ake ikture

Thinking that just a hair in between the seals can be problematic, not least as you go deeper and deeper.

Well if SJ knock the ball out of the park at strike 1 then there is no need to worry, and they sort of did that with the SJ4000.
And not forgetting at any time can a company decide to do things better or worse than before, so its by no means me ripping on a brand of witch i have never owned a product.
But my friend like his SJ4000 and when he scratched up the lens on it he promptly ordered a new one.

I am wondering how gopro will pull it off, not least as divers often wear gloves too.

Yuk!Yuk! No voice commands underwater-except for the fishes!

Gopro's GPS can only indicate where the video or photo was taken Garmin Virb ultra 30 draws a map of your progress and shows your speed, and other sensor data in future, like heart rate. Awesome!

Back